Tea Latte - Low Carb Style

Donna L.
on 12/18/16 9:57 am, edited 12/18/16 9:58 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I have been drinking tea lattes for a change of pace.  I was addicted to starbucks when I was much fatter, and their lattes have way too many carbs and dairy.  I use a dairy-free creamer I make myself.  Whole Fairlife milk works well (I eat full fat), but you can use skim milk or almond milk, too!

You need a cheap frother of your choice (I use this one) and a pan to do this technique.

However, you can easily customize a tea latte at home to fit your macros, dairy or not.  I used fairlife milk for mine.  This is how I do it: 

1. I brew the tea double-strength.  I prefer this. 

2. I use liquid splenda or stevia to sweeten.  You can use your sweetener of choice.  I often actually go without these days.

3. Heat up the dairy (1/2 cup) in a pan to the point of scalding. 

4. Use your frother and froth that baby up! Make sure there is room so it does not overflow.  You can also use an immersion blender too :)

5. Slowly pour the cream into your hot tea

6. Enjoy your $6 latte for much cheaper - and much healthier :)

Typically a vanilla chai tea, large, at Dunkin Donuts has about 500 calories.  This has 50-100 in comparison.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/17 12:26 am

I make a chai tea latte every morning and often in the afternoon to keep working too . 

I keep a pot on my stove with black tea bags filtered water ginger slices and maybe a tea bag or two of chai flavored tea . This brews up super strong but I usually add boxed chai tea to my cup too ( it's like a shot of non fattening espresso:) ) . 

I use fat free powdered milk and truvia to sweeten or sugar free Torani syrup when I remember to buy it . Almond Silk lite works well too . 

littlebit_12822
on 1/31/18 12:37 pm

Here is my lighter version of vanilla chai as well:

2 tea bags, 1 t cinnamon, 1/2 t ginger, 1/4 t allspice, sprinkle of nutmeg &1 C water.

1 C unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 2 T splenda brown sugar blend, 2 T unsweetened French vanilla creamer. Whipped topping and nutmeg optional on top.

1. Tea bags, cinn, ginger & allspice in a reusable coffee filter in a pan of the water and brew. (The spices get really thick and gummy like and stopped up my coffee maker after several times so I just use pots in stove and combine at end.
  2. In small saucepan combine almond milk, brown sugar and creamer. Cook and stir over med. heat until heated through and sugar is dissolved. Combine the two pots dollop w/ whipped topping if you choose and a sprinkle of nutmeg.
  3. Makes 2 servings.
  4. Closest thing to DD chai I have found without all the calories.
  5. I make 10 cups at a time and refrigerate it so it's there when I want it. ENJOY!
Most Active