Turkey Chili

DollyDoodles
on 7/9/04 6:29 am - Whittier, CA
Turkey Chili- you can make it chunky or with ground turkey ( I know this looks like a lot of stuff, but my guess is, you have 90% of it already in your cupboards ) 2 t vegetable oil- or Olive oil if you prefer 1 large onion, chopped 1 green pepper chopped 2 cloves garlic- chopped or minced 1 small hot chili pepper, seeded and minced or 1 t hot red pepper flakes( i like it hot and use a full jalipeno chili ) 1 28 oz can low sodium peeled tomatos, with juice, coursely chopped 1 C no salt added tom sauce 1/2 C red wine- optional, you dont need it if you dont want it 2 T chopped fresh cilantro or parsley, or both, your preference 1 1/2 T chili powder or to taste- can use cayenne to taste also 1 t dried oregano 1 t ground cumin 1/4 t whole cumin salt to taste 1 1/2 lb either boneless skinless turkey breast, or thighs or ground turkey, depends on how you want your chili to look. If not ground, cut turkey into cubes 2 C cooked red kidney beans, rinsed and drained 2 T low fat or FF sour cream 2T finely minced red onion 1 lemon --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Directions Heat oil in a soup pot or dutch oven. Add onion and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until softened. Add bell pepper, garlic, and chili powder and stir another min Add tomatos, tom sauce, wine and bring to a boil. reduce heat to medium and stir in cilantro, chili powder, oregano, cumins, and salt. (this is where i squeeze in lemon juice from small lemon instead of salt - love the tangie flavor ) Let simmer 5 min, reduce heat to low and cover pot. stirring occasionally for about 20 min. Add turkey, beans to pot. Taste and adjust seasonings till u like it. Continiue to cook covered for another 20-30 min until turkey is cooked through. Ladel into bowls and sprinkle each serving with 1 t red onions and 1 t sour cream. Makes approx 6 servings Per serving: approx 1 Cup servings calories 290 protein 35.0 grams carbs- 29 grams fat - 4.5 grams cholest- 220 mg sodium 220 mg
Most Active