Baked "fried" chicken??

mariec
on 1/20/05 12:50 am - NJ
I have an idea for making "fried" chicken in the oven... but don't know how to go about it. I'm pre-op, so this is still new to me, but I'm trying to put in place now some recipies that I can make for my whole family. I realize I would probably need to remove the nice coating (*sniff*) but at least if it's all cooked in a WLS-friendly way, I can make just one meal instead of one for them and one for me. Has anyone experimented with this, or have a great recipie/technique? Thanks, Marie Lap-RNY 2/9 hopefullly
BullDog Lady
on 1/21/05 1:02 am - Somewhere GREAT!
Marie, I have an idea that might help. I had a diabetic tell me about this recipe. You take some chicken {you like} potatoe flakes flour and your seasoning you mix the potatoe flakes, flour and seasoning in a bag real good. Take your chicken and skin it....then put it in your mixture like shake n bake so to speak. Get your pan...spray it with some pam then lay your chicken in the pan. Once that is done cover it with some aluminum foli and stick it i nthe oven and cook for desired time. Just remember though about 10 minutes before you take it out remove the foil so your crust will brown on the chicken. I tried it with the skin on and it is just FABULOUS!! It does not taste like dried out chicken. It is juicy and very tasty. It is a ,ust try! ~~Becky
TeresaP
on 2/3/05 9:32 pm - Elkhart, IN
My family (Kids and all) enjoy one that I make with parmesan cheese. I dip the chicken breast in egg and then coat with parmesan cheese. Then I sprinkle with seasonings. I usually use garlic powder and a little Mrs. Dash. Then I bake it in the oven for about 20-25 minutes at 350. It gets the crispy that we all enjoy and has a wonderful flavor!
(deactivated member)
on 2/9/05 3:51 pm - Yakima, WA
freepgs.com/bariatricbytes/Poultry.html Southern Oven "Fried" Chicken By Dame Tooter This is a simple oven fried chicken. It is NOT greasy at all and very moist. Be careful not to overcook though...if you use small or thin pieces of chicken, they won't take as long to cook. This recipe is for 4 large breasts and one smallish breast. Heat Oven to 425 degrees F. Approximately 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (would work equally well on thighs, as some postops do better with dark meat), about 1 inch thick 1/8 cup vegetable shortening (oil does NOT work in this and will make your chicken greasy!), melted 1/8 cup butter - if you are using a non-stick baking pan. If you are not using non-stick, increase butter to 1/4 cup - melted 1/2 cup Krusteaz CarbSimple Pancake Mix - you could substitute other low-carb baking mixes, but I can't promise how it will turn out 1/2 tsp. table salt (not Kosher or sea - too coarse) 1 tsp. Paprika 1 tsp. Garlic Powder 1 tsp. Lou Price's Cajun Seasoning (available at Fred Meyer's AKA Kruger's) - may be omitted. In a bowl combine pancake mix, salt, paprika and garlic powder. Shake it through a sifter - but DO dump the fine kernels that remain in the sifter back into the bowl with the sifted ingredients. The CarbSimple mix has whole grains in it that won't go thru the sifter, but taste great in this. The purpose of sifting the ingredients is to remove the 'lump' from the pancake mix. You don't HAVE to do this step, but it coats better if you do. Pour the melted shortening and butter into the bottom of an 13 by 9 by 2 inch baking dish and tip it around so that it coats the bottom nicely. Dredge the chicken on both sides in the flour mixture. Place in the baking pan, so that pieces don't touch each other. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Using tongs, so that you don't pierce the chicken, carefully turn it over. Bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until the thickest piece is done in the center. Remove from pan and serve immediately - or put on a platter. If you let it sit in the pan, it will soak up grease. Not good!
jojobear98
on 8/23/08 11:17 pm - Gettysburg, PA
Just some variations I have used for coating chicken that I bake in the oven  to get a nice flavor......

Finely crused pretzels pieces......(Snyder's makes some great flavored pretzels in honey mustard, garlic, cheese and other flavors.

Bread crumbs and finely crushed goldfish crackers (any variety)

Cornflakes finely crused with added spices to your liking

Parmasean cheese is another great coating to add a nice flavor.

Hidden Valley Ranch powder dressing mix with bread crumbs

Taco seasoning with breadcrumbs

All the above can be put on chicken with or without an egg coating, however the egg coating help the coating stay on better through cooking and turning the chicken. And I have used this with bone-in and boneless chicken.

Most Active