Donna L.’s Posts

Donna L.
on 12/19/16 6:08 am, edited 12/18/16 10:09 pm
Topic: RE: Holiday Week Meal Planning

I actually buy some from a local store called Gordon Food Service.  I prefer glass but it is also too heavy for me.  

I also bought these on Amazon and used them post op for a while, especially for liquidy stuff.  They are 8oz.  They actually last quite a few washes, and they are great for freezing.  The plastic gets brittle eventually.  I do not mind buying new ones every few months, though.   https://www.amazon.com/Freshware-40-Pack-Plastic-Containers- Airtight/dp/B01G7JUPK2/ 

I now use these when I don't use my fitmark stuff, but I get mine from a restaurant supply store.  I actually use it for 3 meals at work not just one which means less for me to wash later (I am so lazy haha): https://www.amazon.com/Freshware-15-Piece-3-Compartments-Ben to-Lunch/dp/B01GH5KQLO/  This actually works the best even though it's big.  I measure into it anyway.  You can get them way cheaper if you have a restaurant supply store near you.  

I also have a small fitmark bag I use with these containers.  They have 16oz smaller ones now, and they are microwave and dishwasher safe.  I will use silicone muffin cups for portions since they don't have a divider.  They are much higher quality than the others but also more expensive.  I'll trade off with the others if I plan too many meals and run out.  Usually though I just use the take out containers since they fit in my bag fine.  

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Donna L.
on 12/18/16 1:33 pm
Topic: RE: Holiday Week Meal Planning

Meal planning for this week is tiresome so I am getting on my game today and tomorrow.  I am preparing 7 dinner meals and also 7 lunches.  They are the same-ish because I prefer it but you could do anything.  Someone here told me to get take-out containers and while it costs $, I prefer these because I can just toss -em when they get gross.

Dinner:

• riced cauliflower, and mock mushroom chicken

Lunch:

• baby frittata w/feta, turkey
  • wilted spinach

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Donna L.
on 12/18/16 10:00 am
Topic: RE: Protein

If protein shakes are making you vomit you must call and let your surgeon know.  That is highly unusual.

Donna L.
on 12/18/16 9:57 am, edited 12/18/16 9:58 am
Topic: RE: Tea Latte - Low Carb Style

I have been drinking tea lattes for a change of pace.  I was addicted to starbucks when I was much fatter, and their lattes have way too many carbs and dairy.  I use a dairy-free creamer I make myself.  Whole Fairlife milk works well (I eat full fat), but you can use skim milk or almond milk, too!

You need a cheap frother of your choice (I use this one) and a pan to do this technique.

However, you can easily customize a tea latte at home to fit your macros, dairy or not.  I used fairlife milk for mine.  This is how I do it: 

1. I brew the tea double-strength.  I prefer this. 

2. I use liquid splenda or stevia to sweeten.  You can use your sweetener of choice.  I often actually go without these days.

3. Heat up the dairy (1/2 cup) in a pan to the point of scalding. 

4. Use your frother and froth that baby up! Make sure there is room so it does not overflow.  You can also use an immersion blender too :)

5. Slowly pour the cream into your hot tea

6. Enjoy your $6 latte for much cheaper - and much healthier :)

Typically a vanilla chai tea, large, at Dunkin Donuts has about 500 calories.  This has 50-100 in comparison.

Donna L.
on 12/16/16 6:50 am
Topic: RE: Cold Steak and Cucumber Salad With Ponzu

Oh man, that sounds amazing too!  I will definitely try it.

I had never heard of ponzu before, but now I am seriously addicted.  It makes everything so much better!

Donna L.
on 12/13/16 1:46 pm
Topic: RE: Stir fried cauliflower

I do an impromptu cauli stir fry with curry and add a bunch of diced tofu for protein.  Comes out awesome :)

Donna L.
on 12/9/16 12:42 pm
Topic: RE: Pizza

I just use meat for the crust, or I use this recipe.  Neither is necessarily low calorie, but both are very low carb.

Donna L.
on 11/20/16 2:02 pm
Topic: RE: Turkey for one?

I've always eaten high fat/low carb.  It often has the best results for weight loss pre-op, too.

Here's the recipe I use. :)  It's super easy.  I scale it up or down.  It makes any protein taste better.

Donna L.
on 11/20/16 9:10 am

I usually eat steak for breakfast when I do eat it, heh.

I'll definitely check the ham out, too.  I normally detest white meat (I eat a very high fat diet - ketogenic) but I'll be freezing the turkey white meat with sage brown butter sauce, which will help considerably.

Donna L.
on 11/18/16 5:48 am

I always used to buy just the frozen turkey breasts.  Now I have no idea why I never tried this!  Thanks so much :)

Donna L.
on 11/17/16 4:37 pm

Meijer has whole turkey 42 cents a pound.  That's incredible for protein.  I was wondering if its feasible to buy for one person and prepare it, then freeze the meat and stuff in 6oz portions.  Is this a gargantuan effort and will make me sick of turkey forever? Thoughts?

Donna L.
on 11/13/16 10:28 am
Topic: RE: Mock Panda Express Mushroom Chicken :)

I made this without the cornstarch (the cornstarch adds 21g of carbs, for the curious.  It came out pretty decent.  If you really wanted to you could probably just leave it, though, as it makes decent sized servings.  I doubled the amount of chicken and used thighs instead, and I also didn't add rice wine vinegar.  Easier than actually going to Panda Express!

Donna L.
on 10/19/16 2:00 pm
Topic: RE: Mock Siggi Yogurt - Pumpkin Flavor

I made this with my IP, and it was ah-maz-ing.  Most of the carbs get eaten up when you make yogurt.  It is deliciously high protein.  I don't add any sugar and I use full fat milk.  You can put some yogurt aside ad reuse it for the next week and never buy it if you want :)

Donna L.
on 10/16/16 3:20 pm
Topic: RE: Week 2 - Start Blending... WHAT SHOULD I HAVE?

I was told to slowly reintroduce foods one at a time in case of intolerances so that I could know what they were.  The problem with many cuisines is that they are a blend of ingredients (obviously), so it may be boring, but it might be good to try one thing at a time.  Like, pureed chicken in broth (plain) or beef with broth (same).  I did have plain cream soups, like homemade cream of chicken, that I pureed.  Mine had less cream and more chicken, though - really just a splash to make it "creamy."  I love vietnamese, but if you had pureed Pho, for instance, you might not figure out what was causing you to be sick since it has numerous ingredients.

I'll use myself as an example: I tried egg drop soup and couldn't figure out why I was violently sick.  I tried eggs alone and bam!  I had a bad egg intolerance for months after surgery.

Sadly, the first few weeks aren't exciting cooking-wise, but they sure do go fast in retrospect!

Donna L.
on 10/6/16 2:36 pm
Topic: RE: Cold Steak and Cucumber Salad With Ponzu

I am eating more protein so I eat less crap.  This means I sometimes eat steak for days - it's far more economical when you only eat 4 ounces.  I truly suffer, I tell you....

Anyway, I hate reheating steak so I've been making this.  It's amazing.  Ponzu is a vaguely citrus japanese sauce.  If you want to go vegetarian or save calories, you can make this dish with firm tofu.  I often will, after weighting and draining the tofu, slice it thin, top with shredded daikon, and then toss ponzu on top for a fast and low-calorie high protein meal.  It's got a lot of salt, but I need more salt apparently, so...

Here's the link to the recipe I used.

Donna L.
on 10/2/16 4:26 pm
Topic: RE: Paleo "Granola"

I missed granola, and regular granola is tres carby.  This "pseduo granola" was inspired by many a paleo and autoimmune diet website/recipe.  I use this to top yogurt or cottage cheese.

Toast lightly in coconut oil (or fat of choice) equal parts of:

1 part unsweetened coconut flakes 

1/3 part chia seeds

1 part chopped walnuts

1 part shelled pumpkin seeds

1/3 part sunflower seeds

1/3 part sesame seeds (optional)

a pinch of salt (more for larger quantities)

Optional spice mixes to add:

cinnamon & truvia

for savory topping I add curry powder or garlic & onion powder.  Great for savory cottage cheese!

pumpkin pie spice for fall!

Donna L.
on 7/26/16 5:19 pm
Topic: RE: Beef recipes?

Hey there!  I'm looking for beef recipes!  Harvey (teenystomach) hates chicken, alas.  Beef is fine.  Yes, I have the weird sleeve.  Any suggestions?

Donna

Donna L.
on 7/15/16 6:23 pm, edited 7/15/16 11:28 am
Topic: RE: Coffee, Banana, Yogurt Smoothie

A nutritionist and I were just discussing this.  We've actually never been able to confirm this with a study.  I've had one nutritionist tell me this, and another tell me the body absorbs all the protein (just slower).  Thing is, according to the rules of biochemistry, all eaten protein eaten is broken down into amino acids.  The question is: what happens to these amino acids if we can't utilize them all?  (My degree was originally in biochemistry.)  Severe excess are turned into glucose via gluconeogenesis, but you'd like have to eat way more than a bariatric patient can consume.  And, we do know how quickly amino acids are absorbed: no more than 10g/hour, typically.  However, that isn't necessarily equivalent to protein.  One study I stumbled across suggested that consuming 35g of protein in one meal resulted in higher rates of protein synthesis than 20g or 10g (http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/90/1/106.long).  So, the body absolutely uses more than 30g...at least in this one study.

The 30g/time actually comes from the fitness/bodybuilder community.  Your muscles won't use more than 30g of protein at once (so people say), but we use protein for many more things than muscle construction. 

There are more issues with protein overconsumption: dehydration, for example.  We need water to process the protein (it's part of why we all have to drink water post-op).  If excess protein wasn't processed, that wouldn't be a concern.

Likely the excess is converted into glucose (like, if you're eating 100+ grams a day or more) - which is good, because it means we can consume fewer carbs during weight loss directly.

Donna L.
on 5/19/16 8:50 pm
Topic: RE: Edamame & Black Bean Lower Carb Spaghetti

So, these are much lower in carb than the wheat version, but they have 24g of protein per serving.  While we probably shouldn't use them until maintenance of course, it's nice to know there are a few options that are healthier.  Great if you are vegetarian and don't mind higher carbs.

Edamame spaghetti (carbs are high-ish, but 1/2 or more less versus regular pasta):
http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Edamame-Spaghetti-lbs-907g/dp/ B00TCUM7X2

Black bean spaghetti (lower carb):
http://www.amazon.com/Explore-Asian-Organic-Spaghetti-7-05-Ounce/dp/B004NSG8F6/

Donna L.
on 3/10/16 8:44 pm, edited 3/10/16 12:41 pm
Topic: RE: Is it possible to get overweight on a vegetarian diet. I need low carb low fat vege recipes.

You can be vegetarian, but many of the foods we don't eat in large amounts vegetarians eat quite a bit of, like rice, whole grains, etc.  I was on a ketogenic diet pre-op and remained very low carb post op, and my cholesterol was 96 when tested three months ago... yep, total cholesterol and had excellent blood markers.  

It really depends what you eat as a vegetarian.  I have one vegetarian friend who eats nothing but macaroni and cheese, and another who eats very healthily low carb and was post-WLS (she has a lot of protein powder/shakes).  It depends what and how you'd eat.  I had a vegetarian day once in a while post-op, and those were the days I was hungriest even with protein.  Back to low carb went I.

I think regardless of what way of eating you choose, it's vital to stay away from processed foods and high sugar/very high carb stuff that has no nutritional value.

Donna L.
on 2/20/16 4:30 pm
Topic: RE: High Protein/Low Carb Meatloaf

I make a similar recipe, but I used ground turkey and mushrooms instead of oats.  It's slightly more crumbly, but the mushrooms make it taste just as meaty!

Donna L.
on 1/25/16 11:55 am
Topic: RE: craving ground beef- any new recipes

This recipe is a favorite :)

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/hamburger_cabbage_stirfry.html

Donna L.
on 1/24/16 12:10 pm
Topic: RE: Josephs Pita

I saw and was using these to make tiny pizzas. They are also higher in protein (10g I think?) and have ~5g net carbs for the whole pita.  The nutritionist gave them a thumbs-up, but I eliminated them because I found they triggered more cravings for me, and that I overeat when I use them,and I also was diagnosed with Celiac.  I also could never then fit all my protein.  So, alas, no wheat for moi anymore, but I'm still curious to see what experienced post-op folks say, as well.

Donna L.
on 1/21/16 4:17 pm
Topic: RE: Non Meat Recipes (Fish okay!)

Crustless quiches are great choices for no red meat.  You can customize them endlessly.  This is an example.  You could swap out the sweet potatoes for more spinach or something easily.

http://www.confessionsofachocoholic.com/healthy/crustless-sweet-potato-and-goat-cheese-quiche

Donna L.
on 12/18/15 4:25 pm
Topic: RE: Crustless Cheeseburger quiche

Making this tonight after work!  Might add some scallions so it's got a wee bit of green.

Most Active