Highfunctioningfatman’s Posts

Highfunctioningfatman
on 2/18/17 7:09 pm
Topic: RE: Simple pork brine

The results of 9 hours of smoking the butts and 4.5 for the loin.

Highfunctioningfatman
on 2/16/17 6:04 pm, edited 2/16/17 6:04 pm
Topic: RE: Simple pork brine

On Saturday I will smoke 2 pork butts and 1/2 of a loin. I did a simple brine of about 3/4 of a gallon of apple juice, and handful of kosher salt, and bulb of vampire repellent smashed with my meat tenderizer and 2 smashed habaneros. I used a dedicated cooler just for brining purposes. On Saturday I will dry the meat and use my "mystery mix" rub. The mystery is because it is the leftovers of previous rubs that I've made that I store in a container until it is full. Once full I use it on some pork because it goes so well with many different spices.

Highfunctioningfatman
on 2/12/17 1:45 pm
Topic: RE: Lazy Chili

As the recent post describes, I've soaked my beans in many ways! I prefer the canned beans for easy prep and because of the texture. 

Highfunctioningfatman
on 2/6/17 10:54 pm
Topic: RE: Types of condiments and sauces

I love Arizona Gunslinger Habanero Sauce. I use green enchilada sauce and fair amount. Wasabi and soy. Can you tell that I like spice? 

Highfunctioningfatman
on 1/23/17 6:45 pm

I would say that we don't fart around but with that much chili you really don't have a choice. 

Highfunctioningfatman
on 1/22/17 7:00 pm

We love chili in this household but unfortunately we don't have time to soak beans all the time. Below is a simple recipe that is high protein, good fiber and tastes darn good. Feel free to use, abuse and tweak this recipe to your heart's desire.

Three cans of low salt kidney beans.

Two cans of black beans.

Two medium red onions.

Two habaneros.

Cumin to taste.

Garlic to taste.

Two pounds of spicy pork sausage.

A can or jar of your favorite salsa.

About a half a cup of brown sugar.

Here is how I do it. Dump all of the beans, salsa and brown sugar  into a decent-size pot. Stir it up and throw it on medium heat. From there and this is really important, use a cast iron pan to cook the sausage and then add it to the beans. Then carmelize the onions and the habanero in the same cast iron pan that you used for the sausage. Add it to the mix! Dump in the Vampire repellent and the cumin until you are happy. Slowly bring it up to a boil stirring very regularly. Once you have a decent boil turn it down to a simmer and let it simmer for at least 4 hours. Enjoy!

Most Active