Thank you, A favor in honor of my son, Adam - Cross Post - Caution!! Difficult Subject

Amberleigh
on 3/12/06 8:31 pm - lakeside, OH
Greetings my OH Family, Thank you so much for all of your support and thoughts and prayers for me and my family during this time; it has meant so much to us (especially me). I wish I had time to respond individually to all of the emails that I've received but I am still finding it very difficult to sit at the computer especially if I am alone and it is already hard enough to write this letter. In honor of my son, Adam, I am asking that you take an uncomfortable step and talk to someone you love TODAY that isn't aware of how dangerous the "Choking Game" is. We talked to our son in depth about sex, drugs, and smoking. We briefly discussed the game after seeing a news program about kids "going too far" but never realized we needed to discuss it again and again and in much more depth. He was only 11 years old and taken from our lives way too early; however, I do not want to let another day go by without letting you know how important it is to talk to your kids, nieces, nephews, neighbor kids, all kids so hopefully one less family will have to go through this horrible experience. The things we "missed" during the estimated two weeks he had been doing this was he was complaining of being lightheaded or blacking out (since he has the same heart condition that I have, we thought he needed more fluids and salt) and he started wearing a hooded sweatshirt all the time (the thick fabric around the neck helps reduce the likelihood of marks that would be easily noticed around one's neck). I am sure a google search would help you find points to bring up when talking to a child, recommendations on how to talk to the child(ren) important in your life, and the warning signs that they might have already tried it. I'm sorry to start your morning off this way but I have put this off way too long. ***psa*** If you believe in organ donation and have not taken the time to sign up to be a donor, please do so. I have found some comfort in knowing we were able to help some other families. (I mean absolutely no offense to anyone whose views differ from mine so please do not take it that way). I am sure I have forgotten something, probably a lot of things but since this is an important post, I will check my email more often so if someone needs information they can email and know that I will get back to them. Have a Blessed day, Amber
FitnLite
on 4/17/06 2:16 am - Spring Lake , NC
Amber, Thanks so much for this post. I teach the Youth Class at our church and the parents and pastor have given me pretty much "carte blanche" in my subject matter. I have copied your profile posts, and the links you gave. Believe me, they will be on the agenda for this weeks class. We can never give too much info. Lack of it is what carries the danger. You are in my prayers. I know that even though we have hope in tomorrow, the pain and grief are part of today. God has tremendous confidence in you though. He said He would not make our load heavier than we can carry. He thinks you are STRONG!! DOesn't that encourage you?? I have had to lean on His Word many times and I always find encouragement there. In Christ, Patricia
Most Active
Recent Topics