bublegirl1 · 48 replies · 1291 views
3rd revision??
Carmen C. · 20 replies · 579 views
Joining the band to sleeve crowd
dreamqueen · 13 replies · 322 views

stretched stoma

CHYNADOLL
on 9/16/06 3:33 pm
a few weeks ago i noticed that i had picked up weight around the middle and that i seemed to be able to eat alot more than usual thaqt when i started my research and came across the revisions and that there was a possiblity that i had stretched my stoma so before i go through the revison thing can u tell me is it a possibility that stoma can strink back or get smaller if u decrease the amount of food intake pls help me Im desperate
mikkozoe
on 9/16/06 3:52 pm - Conyers, GA
well my stoma is enlarged and from what i have noticed ,...NO it will not shrink ...you have to have some type of procuder done to make it smaller ...Some have surgery some have been getting the lapband put around it ....Butyou have to have something done to fix it ...I am in the process of trying to find a doc to help me actually .... Godo luck  Laura
Donna R.
on 9/20/06 7:51 pm - West Chester, Pa
Hi Laura, How do you know when your stoma is stretched, large etc??I to am eating way to much. Hap rny May 2002 lost 110 gained backed 10 just this past 2 months so I dont want this to get worse. Going for upper GI series tommoraw thats the first step and see whats going on. What tests did you have. I to am looking for a Dr. This is our bodies, I have been upset everyday that I can eat a lot.                                                              Thanks Donna
donna r
arianna
on 9/26/06 4:31 am - TN
Lap Band on 10/19/06 with
there are thousands of surgeons who do lap band and also many who do lap band in Georgia you just have to do your home work some who have had rny go on to have a lap band done for simple restriction.. but  if you dont help yourself and    try to  stick to the rules  it wont work either good luck to you  I am having lap band hopefully in 2 weeks  this is my  first and only weight loss operation if this does not work i guess i am on my own good luck on your finding a good Dr
Paula Prichard
on 9/23/06 6:29 pm - Kingman, AZ
One the stoma is "stretched' or ripped, there is no going back. You can have sclerotheraphy (injections into the stoma to scar it down), or you can have surgery to make it smaller....neither one is permanent and they are short lived. The only "permanent" solution doctors have now is to put a Lap Band on the pouch to act as the stoma. It is supposed to be very effective. I had my consult on Friday to get a band over my pouch and now I"m doing the insurance waiting game thing.  This issues was confirmed by an Upper GI series. I gained 32 pounds in a littler over a year...starving all the time. I had my rny in 2002

Open RNY 1/24/02               First Post-op Baby: Roman Michael 3/29/06                                    
TT w/ Hernia Repair 7/03     Second Post-op Baby: Aurora Marie 1/15/08
LapBand on Pouch 11/06     Breast Reduction/Thigh Lipo/Brachioplasty 6/08
Donna R.
on 9/23/06 10:18 pm - West Chester, Pa
If you have an operation on the stoma andhave it repaired it should last and do things right-this is what I am hearing.I am going for an endocosopy this week to see if the stoma is stretched I am sure it is I am eating all the time in large volume. I would condiser the lapban to. Had lap rny in May 2002 lost 110 gained backed 10 need to loose 50 more but cant do it until a Dr. helps me.                           Donna
donna r
Paula Prichard
on 9/25/06 9:17 am - Kingman, AZ
Well I can't tell you medically why the sclerotherapy or the surgical fixing of the stoma doesn't work permanently, I just know it doesn't. The post below this one verifies it...might be worth a look. :-)

shurwitz
on 9/25/06 9:04 am - Moultrie, GA
Hi Paula, just wanted to confirm your comments on schlerotherapy. I had RNY in 2001 (open) and lost 165 lbs., have now gained back some 60 pounds. I've now had two schlerotherapy treatments. I notice some improvement in restriction about a week after each treatment, then it seems like it's pretty much back to staying hungry and wanting to nibble or "graze" all the time. I will say that I have lost some 16 pounds over the past 3 1/2 months, but I think this is more because of my trying to get "back on track" with proper eating habits, etc. than from any WL due to the schlerotherapy. Doc. says the initial restriction may be just from irritation and swelling following the injections. I am now convinced my best option for permanent revision will be to add the lap band, which my Doc has mentioned.  My problem is that on my next appointment in one week, I'm sure my doc is gonna want to schedule me for another scherotherapy treatment to give this option a chance. I, however, would rather put my resources into a permanent, or at least a more long term, solution. I don't want to spend another month or two waiting to see if schlerotherapy is going to work. Any suggestions? 
Paula Prichard
on 9/25/06 9:19 am - Kingman, AZ
Well, I'm impatient so I wouldn't even bother with  more sclerotherapy. A doctor here told me that she wouldn't even bother with the sclerotherapy on me since my stoma was already beyond repair. She said it would be a waste of my time since it rarely provides more than a week of restriction after the injection (due to swelling), and it is not permanent. I had my LapBand appointment this past Friday and am currently gathering my medical information so that I can try to get approved. Good luck! :-)

shurwitz
on 9/25/06 9:23 am - Moultrie, GA
Thanks for the response - and good luck on your LB appointment. I think I'm inclined to take your advice and tell my Doc. I've wasted enough time and money on short-term fixes with no verifiable long-term track record. Steven
smileey
on 10/13/06 5:41 pm - FL
Do you know if the intraluminal suturing procedure works for this?
Paula Prichard
on 10/16/06 8:18 am - Kingman, AZ
Never heard of this, what is it exactly??

smileey
on 10/16/06 12:02 pm - FL
Its a procedure done endoscopically where sutures are placed around the anastomosis which creates scar tissue/scarring thus making the opening smaller.  From what I understand this was developed by a GI doctor in Boston and he is the only one presently doing the procedure. I THINK some other surgeons may be studying the procedure at this time.
Paula Prichard
on 10/16/06 1:09 pm - Kingman, AZ
Ok, I have heard of that, just not called by that particular name. I was actually told NOT to do that since it does not yield permanent results and hasn't been done on enough people to show long term effectiveness. I'm in a holding pattern for the Lap Band to be placed over my pouch to sort of "repair" the large stoma issue.

smileey
on 10/16/06 5:21 pm - FL
Did your SURGEON tell you not to do that? Just curious because I am facing the same decision and I really dont want anymore "surgery". I posted looking for opinions from anyone about this very issue as I have to make this decision soon. I may just go try the suturing not sure though. Just cant have a lap band right now, I am kindof  "surgeried out" if there is such a thing....
Deanne K.
on 11/3/06 12:01 pm - Tucson, AZ
Hi All, I was wondering if anyone has heard of an enlargement at the connection of the esophagus and the top portion of the pouch?  I don't know what you would call this.  I was told from my gastroenterologist yesterday from the EGD that this opening was way to large.  I have never had the "over full" feeling since the beginning, I have always been able to eat more than anyone else.  I will be 2 years out Nov. 9 and am starting to gain weight back in the past few months.
BrownSugarDiva
on 6/25/07 7:35 am - Lynn, MA
Hello, Do you know the name of the surgeon?  The name of the procedure?  The name of the hospital? Thanks!
Tracy Ta Da
on 2/11/09 7:18 pm - Hurst, TX
RNY on 12/31/03 with
Your post caught my attention.  I was told by my original surgeon (RNY 2003) that have something called 'jujenium diverticulitis - my upper part of my lower intestine stretched into a stomach.  He failed to elaborate into what I will now cover.   I had a second opinion today, I have an EXTREMELY stretched out stoma, I was referred to a nutritionist.  Your post opened the reality to me that I cannot fix it. I starve all the time...mentally, physically, whatever, eventually I stress and bing...listen, I don't eat right but my appetite is beyond help.  I gained back about 50 lbs since about 2006. My profile has all my data if you are interested.

Anyway, my first surgeon wanted to do surgery on me again and disect my intestines and this new, reputable Dr. balked at that...he seemed disturbed....but he cannot do anything for me medically, and my first surgeon is obviously wanting to re-do my whole surgery....but work it so my insurance pay for it, it''s somewhat obvious to me.

What are your thoughts?  Do you know the cost of getting banded as RNY, have you met anyone who has? 

Your thoughts are valued and I am weary with research at this point.

Thanks!

Tracy Ta Da!!! 
scstewart
on 2/15/11 2:12 pm
I am researching doctors to find one that is willing to band over stoma after Gastric Bypass.  So far I am having no luck.  Where is your doctor located?
MainePugsRUs
on 8/12/09 8:40 am

In reading this thread of posts...it is upsetting to me.  I think there is a lot of misinformation floating around this thread.  The surgeon's (two) I have spoken to directly have told me that a lap band will NOT do anything to help the small pouch/large stoma (anastomosis) because they put the lap band around the pouch, not the anastomosis.  As far as I know, very few docs perfom the sclerotherapy.  Dr. Thompson in Boston being one of them who does.  He totally believes that this procedure works and works well while following some guidelines.  Most people need at about 3 injections to get the right restriction.  It would not be a good thing to do one big injection and find that you have overdone it.  This scarring can't be undone, probably without surgery.  The scarring is permanent so it will not stretch out again.  I am totally convinced that this is the best procedure out there for regain.  I was looking into the lap band after RNY but the surgeon that does it discouraged me and recommended I see Dr. Thompson.  I am scheduled to have the first injection on Oct. 13th.