Anyone had a revision from RNY to DS

Debbie M.
on 12/20/08 12:44 pm

Hi,
I've been lurking here for quite some time.  Plan on having a revision from an RNY to ds.  Am interested to speak with anyone who has been through it.  Would like to know more about your experiences. How long the surgery was, any complications, has the weight come off as easily 2nd time around, etc. 
I had an RNY in 2002, was 348lbs and am back to 338.  While I certainly  was far from perfect, I can't eat nearly the amount I use to - I don't understand how I got this huge again.. Anyway, no looking back, have to move forward and do something about this.

Happy Holidays,
Debbie

mew6495
on 12/20/08 1:20 pm - MI
 Hi Debbie,

I am not a revision from RNY to DS.  But you might want to try and post your question on the DS forum.  I believe there are a few who have had the RNY to DS.

Good Luck.
SheriAZ
on 12/20/08 11:09 pm
Good Morning Debbie, While I can't say too much about the weight lose after the revision from RNY to DS...yet I can relate to the dissapointment of gaining the weight back after the original surgery. I had my revision 5 days ago. The memory is fresh in my mind and middle. I can say that it was the best thing I did for myself, I am just sorry that I beat myself up for 7 years first. I blamed myself and although I am sure that part of it was me I don't think it was entirely my fault. I was a mood eater from way back so if I gained 2 pounds I would make sure to turn it into 5. The first 3 years after my first surgery I was so faithful to every thing I didn't touch sugar, watched carbs, did the protein, exercised and still didn't lose weight. My total weight loss was 90 lbs. I never got under 200. Then it started to creep back on. I blamed it on anti-depressants. My PCP kept telling me it was the surgery I had but I didn't believe him since other people were successful. Well guess what the other people who were successful had the DS. Finally I gave in and went to see Dr. Schlesinger in Phoenix and yep it was the surgery and here I am 5 days after my revision, in pain and so very happy . You have a great attitude when you say that you are now looking forward....Good for you.....keep doing that and you will acheive your goal...as will I. Good luck to you..now stop lurking and join the party. Its a great group of supportive people who have all been where you and I are right now.

Sheri AZ
trveilrob
on 10/18/12 2:41 pm - Shreveport, LA
Ok thinking of having rny to ds but i am 205lbs and 5'10 i am afraid i will loose too much weight any body out there had a reision from rhy to ds 50lbs or less overweight?
My_Time
on 12/21/08 7:58 am - Bangor, ME
Hi Debbie,
My name is Carolyn and I am just 4 full days out of the hosp from the revision you are asking about.  I'm not sure what your questions are.  Certainly only you know how bad you want to loose weight for the final time.  I debated and vacillated for several years and the bottom line was  I could probably loose weight to be at an acceptable size....what I knew in my heart was it would not be permanent and I couldn't live going up and down again and again.

My stay in the hosp was not easy for me.  There was not the pain issue (it was more discomfort) and I didn't use the pain pump at all after the 1st day.  What was very hard for me was getting up every hour during the day to walk and every 2 hours at night to walk.  Not real good atmosphere to rest and recoup in that sense.  It is important to do it because the consequence might be blood clot or pneumonia.  Walking can't stop when out of hosp either.  My husband and I are living in a hotel in Az right now until my post op apt with the Dr.  I still make myself go for long walks and am committed to following the liquid diet routine until after my apt.  Then I can go on soft foods (blended), and go from there.  It is very hard not to be able to have anything bu****er, crystal light, skim milk, protein drinks, sugar free jello and chicken broth.  Very boring.  But then I remember what brought me here for the second time to attempt to have a more normal life and body I can feel better in. 

We can talk again if you want but my husband is waiting to walk me   By the way, did I mention I hate walking?
Carolyn
Debbie M.
on 12/21/08 9:07 am

Carolyn and Sheri,

Thanks for your replies.  I've read so many wonderful things about Dr. S.  Did your insurance cover your procedure with him? 

Carolyn, I hate walking too, when I'm out of shape.  When I was thin I walked all the hills around my house and loved the high it gave me.  Put some good music on my ipod and zoned out.  Now it's all I can do to walk through a mall without my back killing me.

I see that you live in Bangor.  We own a duplex in Millinocket so have been through Bangor many times, you live in a beautiful part of the country.

You are both so sweet, thank you for taking the time to write me and I'll let you know how it goes on January 5th after my appt. with my PCP.

Happy Holidays to you both,

Debbie

(deactivated member)
on 12/22/08 2:05 pm - San Jose, CA

My understanding is Dr. Schlessinger does NOT do an RNY to DS revision.  He revises RNYers to ERNY, which is NOT NOT NOT a DS.  It has a short common channel like a DS, but that's it.  And you won't get the benefits of the DS, especially leaving yourself with a pouch.

Surg Endosc. 2007 Nov;21(11):1924-6. Epub 2007 Sep 3. Links

Adding malabsorption for weight loss failure after gastric bypass.

Brolin RE, Cody RP.
Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical School, Pittsburgh, PA, USA. [email protected]
OBJECTIVE: To present a technique of revisional RY gastric bypass in patients with unsatisfactory weight loss after primary gastric bariatric operations. METHODS: The Roux limb was lengthened by creating a 75-100 cm common channel below the enteroenterostomy with concomitant revision of the gastrojejunostomy. RESULTS: Fifty-four patients had this distal modification of RYGB including 47 patients who had primary gastric bypass and 7 patients who failed pure restrictive operations. Mean excess weight loss was 47.9% in patients followed for > or = 1 year. CONCLUSIONS: This distal modification of RYGB resulted in satisfactory weight loss for nearly half of the 54 patients in this series.

----------------
Less than half achieved "satisfactory weight loss" after revision to ERNY. And that includes the 13% of the patients who were conversions of restrictive only procedures to ERNY revisions (which means they had a higher chance of doing well, because it was the first go-round with malabsorption for them).

By the way, "satisfactory weight loss" in the bariatric lingo means 50% EWL. 50%.

For DSers, after 10 years, the data from the Hess study is 94% (Obesity Surgery, 15, 408-416, 2005) MAINTAINED >50% EWL. In the 15 year Marceau study, it was 82% (Obesity Surgery, 17, 1421-130, 2007). Keep in mind that because of insurance reasons, a high proportion of these folks started out SMO.

Research all your options.

As for the woman who SAYS Schlessinger gave her a DS, I'll bet she's mistaken.  If her stomach didn't get revised to a gastric sleeve, she's got -- at best -- an ERNY.
SheriAZ
on 12/31/08 10:58 pm
Ok sorry for not knowing the correct lingo I do know that because I had by pass my revision was not a true DS I also know that the success of the DS lies in the malabsorbtion more so then the sleeve My common channel is 70 so how does that differ from a DS I can not eat as much as someone with a sleeve due to the size of my pouch so to get in all of the protein I need I eat more often Tell me why this is so unacceptable
(deactivated member)
on 1/2/09 1:39 am - San Jose, CA

Actually, no, the success of the DS lies in a number of things working in concert -- most of which you don't have.  Your misstatement of what surgery you have is UNACCEPTABLE in that it implies that ERNY and DS are nearly the same.

1) The vertical sleeve gastrectomy removes a large part of the ghrelin producing tissue from the stomach -- your stomach is still in you, churning out ghrelin (the hunger hormone).

2) The DS has more small intestine in the biliopancreatic tract, and different parts as well.  This is VERY important to long term efficacy.

3) With an RNY pouch and 70 cm common channel, you have the worst parts of both surgeries.

4) DSers have the distal stomach and a portion of the duodenum still in the alimentary tract, enabling absorption of vitamin B12, iron and calcium better than RNYers.  ERNY has the same problem as the RNY in this regard.

5) ERNYers dump -- DSers don't.

6) And finally, not changing the stomach to a sleeve loses the synergistic value of the switch (not that you have the same intestinal anatomy as a REAL switch -- see number 2 above) with the sleeve.  Non-MO type 2 diabetics who go outside the country to get the switch portion alone (without the sleeve) lose about 25 lbs at first, and then GAIN IT BACK.  The two portions of the surgery work SYNERGISTICALLY.

So, yeah, what you posted was WRONG, and needs to be corrected.

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/09 9:16 am - TX
I am a revision from RNY to DS.  come over to the Ds forum and talk to us.
Most Active
Recent Topics