My Band over RNY update

JeannieBVA1
on 6/12/09 10:35 pm

Hello Everyone,

It has been a few weeks since I posted...   I had my 3rd fill today.

As of yesterday (6 weeks post opp) I've lost 20 lbs.  I've gone from 258lbs to 238lbs.

I do not feel a lot of restriction with the band.  I would guess about 30% after yesterdays fill.

A few days ago I took myself off of the low carb/high protein diet they had me on and started doing low fat.  Making sure I'm also fitting protein in.   This is how I lost my weight the first time (along w/ RNY) and kept it off for 12 years.   Now I know most of you are thinking that 20 lbs is a good amount of weight to lose in 6 weeks but....   Remember a lot of that was due to liquid diets they put you on.  Two weeks after surgery and also after every fill, you go on a liquid diet for 2 days. So 20 days of my 6 weeks was liquid diet.

There is a little restriction so it does help.  I was worried when my Dr. told me yesterday that I was up to 7(cm?) of the 10 that could be put in.  She told me not to worry because I am getting restriction and it's just a matter of finding that spot that makes me feel 65-70% restriction.  She said after that.... My adjustments would just consist of small tune ups of like 1/2- 1 (cm?)

Gotta run for now... Hope all is going well! 

Jeannie

(deactivated member)
on 6/13/09 11:23 am - San Diego, CA
Hi there,

Well I think you should be very proud of your 20 lb weight loss, Jeannie! :)  I had my band over RNY on 5/29 and can't friggin WAIT for my first fill.  I have no restriction right now so this diet is all me.  I've lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks but 2 weeks of that was liquids.  It's definitely not easy!

Keep me posted on how your fills are working for you!

=Lisa=
sillygirl18
on 6/16/09 12:53 am
Good for both of you.  I got my band on 5/29/09 and I've lost 14 lbs...but this diet is killing me.  I get my first fill tomorrow.  I had NO idea it would be this tough.  I give the other banders a big kudos.  RNY was much easier for weight loss and loss of hunger than waiting for the band to be filled.  I'm hoping this second chance at weight loss will work for me and you two also :)
uandme2gether4life
on 6/17/09 12:37 am, edited 6/17/09 12:39 am - Washington, DC

Hello Family,

Please, I am looking for an honest answer.  Currently, I am seeking a revision, I had the RNY procedure done back in 2003 when I weighed 268lbs.  After one year post-op I had only lost only 48lbs.  I was too afraid then to have a revision but, now weighing in at  272lbs. and standing only 5'2" tall, it is time.  My insurance company approved a consult with Dr. FInellia but, he only does Lap Band revisions.  If you quys could turn back the hands of time would you have had the Lap Band revision or another type of revision surgery?  Please advise 

JeannieBVA1
on 6/17/09 1:36 pm
UANDME,

Please do not feel like that Dr. is the only Dr you can go to.... If your insurance approved him... they will also approve someone else that does other revisions....

To answer your question....  It really is too soon to say rather or not I've made a good decision.  As you can tell from my last post...  I do have some restriction but still have to diet.

Band over RNY is a little different then the original bypass because I can eat junk and larger portions of food.... Whereas w/ the original bypass (RNY)  I could not because I would throw it up.    I dont have that so far w/ the band.  

Just do your research and figure out what "risk" you are willing to take..   I chose the lower risk surgery (band over RNY)

Good luck
smileyjamie72
on 6/24/09 8:49 am - Palmer, AK
Go to the DS board and look into that as an option as well.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/a,messageboard/

www.dsfacts.com

http://www.dsfacts.com/Duodenal-Switch-as-a-Revision-Surgery .html

There are lots of revision surgeries out there, and researching is the key to find out which one (if any) would be right for YOU

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

tochatty
on 6/22/09 3:00 pm - Scottsdale, AZ
Please keep me in the loop how all of you are doing.  I am still undecided of which way to go, revision ERNY or band over bypass. 

What kind of liquid diet are you on for two weeks or two days after your surgeyr/fill?  I know one of the surgeons recommended doing a high protein liquid diet two weeks before surgery.  Just curious. 

Look forward to seeing everyone healthy!

Tochatty (Jennifer) in AZ
Open RNY 07/2000
SW 336, Lowest Weight 185, CW 272
Seeking Revision GBS

im3d2
on 7/16/09 2:22 pm - Panama City, FL
Way to go J, I hope y'all are well!! Call me!!!!!
Today is the first day I have been on here in months.

Dena
Most Active
Recent Topics