Curious if anybody here has gained weight back after vertical sleeve surgery

Ding-E-Girl
on 9/30/11 10:43 pm - MS
     Does that price include airfare, hotel and all that or is that seperate?    Also,  what is your surgery date ??    Gosh there are just SO MANY decisions to make !!!  
DonnaCrosland
on 10/1/11 4:52 am - WA
that price includes all surgery, hotel and transportation to and from the airport.  It does not include airfare.  My flight was $250 rt from Seattle to San Diego...

Surgery is (gasp) Monday and I fly tomorrow morning.  I will be taking alot of little video clips and posting them so you can see the hotel, the OCC offices, the rooms - ect.

I would call OCC and talk to the docs there - they will give you the best advice on which surgery is right for you based on you.  I was looking at plication but went with sleeve as it's an easier revision if I need it later down the road.

Hope that helps..

Donna
warmmorningsun1
on 11/3/11 7:42 am - Baton Rouge, LA
Ding E Girl,
I had the same surgeon and now am dealing with the exact same thing.  I'd love to talk to you and see what your thoughts are about doing something different?  I'm not sure what to do now..
Aimee

Banded 06/07/06 Start 305; Lost to 235; Gained to 249, so.....
Sleeved 11/24/08!  Started at 249/Current 227.8/Goal 160
Virgie Tschirhart
on 11/5/11 12:24 pm - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
Hi Ding-E-Girl,

I had a lap band done in 2008, it sucked lost 17 lbs and gained 14 lbs.  In 2009 I had the VSG.  I lost 30 lbs with the sleeve and then gained back 15 lbs.  I too ate the wrong things and now I am getting help with a therapist.  I realized that I need help with emotional eating.  

I have been researching and really would like to be revised to DS.  RNY just scares me.  I also notice there are quite a few out there getting revised from a RNY to DS.   Maybe you could be approved for a DS, you never know unless you ask.  Yes find a surgeon that has done lost of revisions.  Also find a surgeon that has done all 4 surgeries.  This way you know that he will be knowledgeable & honest on which surgery would benefit you.

Best Wishes

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

stormechaser
on 11/8/11 2:19 pm
DS on 06/08/17
I had a VSG in October 2007. The weight fell off of me and I lost a total of 80lbs in 6 months. At that point, it stopped cold. I also felt my restriction go away around that time as well.

I have now gained back about 55lbs of my loss and am miseralble. I am pushing 300lbs again and know that I must have a revision done. I am seeking therapy as well as nutritional counseling so that I do not have a second failure.

I am looking to revise to an RNY as opposed to a DS because the research I have been doing does not support a good outcome for weight loss when the second step-the switch-is performed well after a VSG. I will continue to research this and wait until I meet with my new surgeon to make a final decision.

VSG TO DS Revision on June 8, 2017.

Surgeon: Dr. Philip Schauer at Cleveland Clinic
Current Weight: 280 lbs

Regained to: 312lbs
Lowest after VSG: 249lbs
Highest Weight ever: 330lbs

Virgie Tschirhart
on 11/9/11 1:02 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17
Hi stormechaser,

I guess I'm like you.  I had my VSG in 2009.  My outcome might not be good either.

Never thought about that before.  Where did you find that information at?  I would like to see that as well. 

I'm right now in the process of BCBS Federal insurance doing their thing for approval of the RNY.  I'm also looking into the DS. with  Dr. Stewart.  

Thanks. 

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

beanybaby
on 12/28/12 8:25 am

While having a sleeve cut up and made into a pouch would be unfortunate for numerous reasons, it is unlikely that the results from revising to RNY instead of a DS would yield better results. In fact, you will most likely have worse results doing that. There will be less weight loss, and you may gain dumping, reactive hypoglycemia, inability to take NSAIDs, or marginal ulcers. You will also be much more likely to lose future options for revision. 

Please do much more research, and don't rely on one surgeons information, as many have biased advice based on what surgeries they actually perform. 

teachkdz0507
on 10/8/12 10:16 pm
Hey Sleeve Friends,

I am officially scared after reading all of your posts about regaining the weight and needing additional revision surgery.  I thought the sleeve would be my last stop.  I did achieve goal in March 2012 but I am now 5 pounds over goal and fighting it every day.  I really think it is my emotional eating rearing its ugly head.  I guess I never really addressed that issue.  I have an appointment to see a counselor about that to stop the madness before it becomes a 40 pound problem!

For those of you considering a lapband....DON'T DO IT!  I had one and it slipped within 4 months of getting it-and I don't blame my surgeon-he is the bomb!  The sleeve is the way to go.  I just need to stop all of the grazing that I am doing.  Plain and simple.

Thanks for grounding me and letting me know that I am normal.  I just need to take action...and fast!

Tammy
pineview01
on 10/9/12 4:59 pm - Davison, MI
Good luck with the Therapy!  I would say that is your best road to success!  Five pounds over goal is a great place to put your foot down and get your stuff togeather.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

jinasinn1984
on 12/27/12 12:53 pm - powell, TN

I know this is an older post so you ladies may not be on here any more but I had my sleeve april 18, 2011. Have lost 97 lb and stuck. Then I have been fighting with a few lbs that comes and goes. I had never herd of the possible buble in the stomach pouch but the restriction doesnt seem to be there and everyone keeps telling me oh thats because its been almost 2 yrs. Its fine its fine. I am really glad I found this. Hope you all are doing well now

Most Active
Recent Topics