- HEALTH TRACKER
I had an upper GI series last week due to some complications I had been having, and it looks like my band has slipped and the pouch is stretched. I am waiting to meet with my surgeon regarding my options, but the nurse said the band would need to come out. I've had my band a little over 4 years and weight from a preop weight of 292 down to 245, so I still have a long way to go. My nurse said that many people have been removing their band (1 out of 4) due to complications or unsuccessful weight loss.
So my question to you is who has had their band removed and did you get another procedure? I don't want another band, but am debating between the sleeve or the gastric bypass. I know people who have been successful with both, but am more hesitant to get the gastric bypass. For anyone who has had a revision, can band removal and the other procedure be done during one operation?
I would love to hear from people who have been in the same situation as I am, what you chose, and how you're doing. Thanks!
I had my appointment today with my surgeon. He said the band definitely needs to come out and removed the saline from the band. It was amazing how I could tell the difference right away and it was so nice to be able to eat my dinner tonight in no pain!!
Anyways, he highly recommended me getting the band out and getting gastric bypass. He thinks I will be more successful long term; however, would be willing to do whatever I prefer. He compared the sleeve to being a lot like the band, so isn't sure I would be quite as successful; however, I know from reading this board it is very possible. My main concern, as some people mentioned above, was the issues with potential heartburn/acid reflux with the sleeve. He said if I had it with the band, it is possible I would have it with the sleeve, but much less likely with the gastric bypass.
My SIL had a gastric bypass from the same surgeon 2 years ago and is doing awesome - down from 260+ to about 120. I have a co-worker who had the sleeve by this same surgeon in January and is very happy with it, down about 40-50 lbs. Before I left, my surgeon urged me to discuss the gastric bypass further with my SIL. When I called her after my appt, she just went on and on about how happy she was with her decision and highly recommended it, etc. I had my mind and heart set on the sleeve, but now I am torn. I think the potential heartburn with the sleeve may be the breaking point if I decide to go with the gastric bypass.
In any case, he said there was no rush in getting the band out right now if I have no problems after the unfill. He also said he could do both surgeries (band removal/revision) at the same time, which is what I wanted. I need to reaccumulate some sick time (2 surgeries last year), plus I am taking some fall classes, my DH's 40th birthday vacation, and a sick dad who is getting ready to start chemo....all of that this fall, so I am holding off on making any final decisions until January. Before I make a final decision, I am making a personal goal of losing 50 lbs by January. If I can do this on my own, I will consider just getting the band out and calling it down (I'd be in the 100s). If not, I think it will be time for my revision which at this moment would be gastric bypass.
I am so sorry you are having these complications...I am 15 yrs post op Fobi pouch GB surg. I have had uclers and reflux for years...The most recommended antiacid liquid is Gaviscon. It is way more expense around 8-10 dollars a bottle but works much better. Also, is your Zantac over the counter? You might ask your dr. for a trial of Protonix, Prilosec, or Previcid. This (Protonix) seems to work best for me and some others that I know. Please be sure to check with your dr. on the antiacids b/c you don't want to take to much and kill all the acid in your stomach either (which I did b/c it just hurt and burned all the time!) Also, if you have not checked out Daily Strength that is also a GREAT online support group. Good luck and stay in touch.