revision;gastric bypass to lap band

tharrell2005
on 1/5/13 2:01 am

I had my open gastric procedure back in April 05, I have gained back alot of the weight and I was considering a revision to a lap band, has anyone had any experience with this? I had BCBS initially when I had the surgery, and I have BCBS Choice now.

Hislady
on 1/5/13 5:15 am - Vancouver, WA

What they usually do is a band over bypass to tighten things back up. There are a few here who have had it done. However with any surgery you still have to diet and exercise to get the weight off. Good luck to you!

Rockne
on 1/5/13 7:01 am - South Orange County, CA

No offense, but sheesh. Going from at best only a marginally successful surgery long term to one far less successful. Do your research this time.

http://vimeo.com/25570146 

tharrell2005
on 1/5/13 10:41 pm

Gd Morning,

I have done research regarding the revision, the realize band is what I am considering. I have an extremely busy schedule, and as my trainer suggested, I must be selfish with my time to get my work outs in and so on. So I work out 5 days a week, and the weight seems to just stay there. Because of my husbands health we have started adjusting the diets gradually but cut out a lot of  things. The realize seems to be more restrictive & I can go back to get the gel inserted if the weight stops coming off.

So what did you mean by marginally successful to far less?

pineview01
on 1/10/13 4:17 am, edited 1/11/13 5:23 am - Davison, MI

It doesn't matter if it is lap or realize, you don't put gel in either of them.  They are both filled with saline.  Also just my personal and about 600 of us on failed lap band group, finding that "sweet spot" is a myth for many.

Don't let the name of the group fool you.  The group is made up of both.  There are only more failed lap bands than realize as they have been done 6 years longer here and there are many more out there. 

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Rockne
on 1/5/13 11:42 pm - South Orange County, CA

Thank you for kindly replying to my rather curt message left for which I need to apologize for. I would respectfully suggest you have not done the "necessary research" required considering what I see in practice so deleterious. Band over bypass gives some marginal success, but often results in complications unforeseen or undisclosed by the attending surgeon or practice performing same. 

Assuming the video was of no interest or un-viewed, I should hope you might look at the failed lap band pleas so prolific on this forum and so many others.

I have no financial or other interests in the game. I simply would like you to choose from a truly informed foundation before going forward risking a second surgery with a very QUESTIONABLE OUTCOME.

Rock  

heathercross
on 1/6/13 2:30 am - New York, NY

Rock, it does work for many of us.  Just as lapbands fail, so do RNYs.  So do all WLS actually. I realize my band may fail me in the future, but, currently it is now, and for that I am grateful, As long as I am alive, I will be proactive in my healthcare and my weightloss.

heathercross
on 1/6/13 2:29 am - New York, NY

I've had the Band over Bypass (BOB).  I had it done in June 2011. I had the RNY in 2002. It has worked well for me and many others I've known who have done the same. Please read my profile, I've blogged a bit about the experience and most of my "friends" are BOBsters as well.  

Heather

Oh, and I'm back at goal.

tharrell2005
on 1/6/13 3:54 am

Thank you Heather, I will check it out.

Tamika

MICHELLE BROWN
on 1/7/13 5:43 am - Vernon Rockville, CT

i had rny gastric bypass in october 2008.. i knew pretty much right away it wasnt working for  me... my weight loss was very slow like 6 weeks out and only down 14 lbs.. my doctor said everything is fine and that i need to do more activity... i did  the gym sometimes 7 times a week i only lost 69 lbs, and now i gained almost all back... the doctor still would do anything about and now i moved out of state and looking into revision, but i just recently heard of having the band after bypass and i am wondering how well it works?

Most Active
Recent Topics