1/2 and 1/2-anyone had half rny and half a ds?

Linda K.
on 10/9/13 11:44 am - Omaha, NE

I am looking at a revision of my VBG.  In speaking with Dr. Anthoine, he is suggesting that the stomach area will be shaped like an RNY stomach but the small intestine and the rest of the surgery would be followed as a DS surgery.  Anyone had that?  Does it work?  Thanks

clpeltz
on 10/10/13 3:39 am

That is called an ERNY.  There is no such thing as 1/2 RNY and 1/2 DS.  If the Dr doesn't have the confidence to give you a TRUE DS, go to someone else.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

pineview01
on 10/10/13 10:26 am - Davison, MI

Is there some damage to the stomach that prevents a sleeved stomach?  That would be the only reason I would think for not doing the DS.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Linda K.
on 10/10/13 12:42 pm - Omaha, NE

Thanks for the replies.  I must be a bit clearer.  I know Dr. Antoine and he is one of the best DS surgeons in the area.  He studied this surgery and has been the Director of Bariatric Surgery at Methodist Bariatric Center (a Center for Excellence clinic)  for years. He also was one of the first surgeons to perform this surgery.   I trust him due to his skill and extensive work I put in investigating this surgery and the Surgeons who can do this surgery on a person who needs revision surgery. 

With that aside, I am going by what I heard.  I am not good at remembering medical terminology.  My VBG has caused several problems with my stomach and so the sleeved stomach will not be an option for me.  I recall he said that it will be the DS surgery, but my stomach can not be sleeved in the usual form. 

pineview01
on 10/10/13 12:59 pm - Davison, MI

That is why I asked.  I have talked to others that had the VBG and couldn't get the sleeved stomach and had to settle for the ERNY.

Good luck!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

MsBatt
on 10/11/13 1:57 am

Dr. Anthone does have an excellent reputation. My point is that if you don't have a Sleeved stomach, you don't have a DS, pure and simple. I think this is just a question of semantics. If you've got a pouch, what you'll have is an ERNY.

Ladytazz
on 10/10/13 4:10 pm

I sent you a message but I don't know if you got it.

I had a DS in 2002 and had nothing but problems.  I lost 120 lbs at first by over 8 years I regained 100 lbs.  Plus I had chronic intestinal bacterial overgrowth, chronic diarrhea and gas that was very odorous and was sick all the time.  I went back to my surgeon begging for a reversal but he told me I couldn't be reversed but he could lengthen my common channel so I wouldn't malabsorb as much.  He also suggested a RNY pouch.   Why, I don't know but I was too sick at the time to question it.  I didn't argue because I had a big sleeve and never experienced restriction.  

So in 2010 I had a revision.  My common channel was lengthened from 100 cc to 200 cc.  My bathroom issues were resolved right away and I went on to lose 115 lbs, more then I wanted.  I'm still working on putting some weight back on.  For me it has worked out well.  I have no issues with my pouch.  In hindsight I probably would have done well with a smaller sleeve and longer common channel but they did things differently in 2002 then they do now.  I wish I had a bigger pouch as I cannot eat much even now.

From what I understand Dr Anthone likes to make his common channels longer which seems to work out for most as far as fewer deficiencies and bathroom issues.  I think if he doesn't think you should have a revision to a sleeve then I would trust him.  I am sure you could find another surgeon like Dr. K in California who could do it but is it worth the risk?  For me having a pouch isn't a problem.  I do dump, which I found out when I had sugar accidently but I wasn't upset since my plan has been to avoid sugar anyway since I am a sugar junkie and that is what brought me down with my first WLS.  I have had some episodes of reactive hypoglycemia but again not a big deal if I eat right, avoid junk and eat every 2 or 3 hours.  I haven't had an episode in over a year.

I don't consider myself a DS or a RNY but some kind of hybrid.  It's working for me but it may not be for some others.  If it bothers you, like I said, get a second opinion.  From what I have heard Dr. K is very good about responding to emails and questions.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Linda K.
on 10/12/13 11:30 am - Omaha, NE

That's the word I was looking for-Hybrid!!!  I don't care so much about the shape of the stomach.  At this point, Doctor Antoine has told me that I will be able to eat without worrying that I will vomit ( I never know when it will happen).  Thank you so much for your story.  It made me feel much better about what I will be doing.

DeeDeeLynne60
on 10/13/13 2:13 pm - Massillon, OH
Linda...can I ask what how long ago you had your original VBG?? Did they use a silicone or mesh band?? I too had a VBG....many years ago but my present insurance will not cover a revision! I am constantly fighting problems from my VGB...like the vomiting, severe pain and distention! I was just really curious as to what problems the surgeons worry about after having had a VGB! Good luck to you!
pineview01
on 10/14/13 1:27 pm - Davison, MI

If you are having these issues, have your tried working out with a surgeon to deal with it as another problem.  Some times the can do things as a fix for say a HH or for the distention and vomiting.  It they are dealing with it as NON WLS, some times they can get approval to help you!

Most Active
Recent Topics