Confused

jmasks
on 5/24/14 11:43 am - Houston, TX
Revision on 05/27/14

I am scheduled for a revision Tues May 27.  In 2001 I had a VBG.  I did pretty good until a few years ago.  I started having a lot of stomach issues.  The doctor said he thinks the RNY is best for me.  I was happy with that until I started reading some post on here.  What do you think the chances are that I can ask my Dr. Tuesday morning to change my revision to the DS instead of the RNY and he agree to it???  I do have arthritis in my hands and back.  So I can not take asprin. 

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/24/14 12:59 pm

I was a virgin surgery, and was scheduled for RNY, and changed my mind to DS at the last minute. There is no way I was going to live without NSAIDs for pain. I wasn't psyched about things like dumping, hypoglycemia and regain either, so I knew the DS was what I needed long term. 6 plus years ago, and I'm so glad I endured the hassle of changing at the last minute.

Your surgeon suggested the RNY because that is what he can do. He's not going to send a paying customer to another surgeon. Another issue, is that you need a surgeon that can do a revision to DS, as there is much that needs to be undone from your VBG, that regular WLS cannot do. 

Any chance you can travel to CA? There are two of the best there, Rabkin and Kesheshian. Traveling for my surgery seemed like such an inconvenience, but I'm so grateful I did it now and have been living happily ever after with a surgery that is making my weight maintenance practically effortless.

Ladytazz
on 5/24/14 1:08 pm

If you want a revision to the DS you will have to most likely find another surgeon.  It is not something that just any doctor can do.  Most can't even do a first time DS but the revision to a DS is the most complicated there is and only done by a very few surgeons.  

The DS is the best WLS statistically for maintaining weight lost and also resolving most co morbidities such as diabetes.  And has you pointed out, you cannot take NSAIDs with a RNY, although some surgeons discourage NSAID use even for people with the sleeve, which is the first part of the DS.

One of the reasons the DS is so successful is that it creates permanent malabsorption of fats and other things, except simple carbs.  Those are absorbed 100% with all surgeries, so if that is your problem it will need to be addressed in order to have the best success possible.

If you are not able to have a revision to a DS do not feel like you are doomed.  There are many people who have been very successful with the RNY, as well.  The malabsorption of the RNY does come to pretty much the end around 1 1/2 to 2 years so you have to watch what you eat more carefully and with both surgeries you need to be diligent about vitamins and supplements, more so with the DS because of the degree of malabsorption involved.

In the end, all WLS are tools, just different kinds of tools.  The DS gives you restriction along with malabsorption.  The RNY gives more restriction and relies less on malabsorption.  It can also cause dumping with sugar intake, which some people find a helpful deterrent, but since only about 30% of RNY patients dump that can't be depended on the keep you from sugar.

If you follow the rules of your surgery you should have great success.  Good luck to you.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

pineview01
on 5/24/14 1:42 pm - Davison, MI

I have seen people her going from VBG to VSG and DS.  This is one articular I found here on OH.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/vertical-banded-gastroplasty-vbg-revision-surgery.html

Revising the Vertical Banded Gastroplasty or other stomach stapling procedure to Duodenal Switch is one option that can be performed laparoscopically. For individuals who have had Vertical Banded Gastroplasty, removing the band is not always needed during a revision to Duodenal Switch.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

MsBatt
on 5/26/14 5:13 am

I know a lady who had a VBG and for some reason they couldn't revise her stomach, so she got just the Switch. She reached her goal weight, and talks like she has no trouble with maintaining it. I think she's about 5 years out.

I have extensive arthritis, and I simply could not do without NSAIDs!

Most Active
Recent Topics