Researching Band to VSG Revision...

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/14 3:06 pm - Hatboro, PA

I had my Realize Band surgery back in August 2010, and I lost 100 lbs in the first year after surgery.  Sadly the past 3 years I haven't lost any more weight, but I've pretty much just been maintaining a total weight loss of 90 lbs.  I'm very happy with the 90 lbs lost, as I know that I would have never been able to lose and keep that weight off without the band.  I've pretty much been stuck between 280 and 290 lbs for the past 3 years.  Since I still have about 100 lbs more to lose, I'm thinking about revising my band to VSG.  I have an appointment next month with one of the bariatric surgeons at Abington Memorial Hospital to discuss my options, and hopefully I will be having revision surgery the end of 2014/beginning of 2015 assuming that Keystone Health Plan East will cover and pay for another surgery. 

I see that there are lots of band to VSG'ers on this forum.  I have a ton of posts to go through on this and the VSG forum to try to get as much information as possible in the next few months, but I just figured that I'd say hello to everyone.

Hislady
on 7/16/14 3:43 pm - Vancouver, WA

Welcome to the group, the band didn't work well for many of us and many others of us have had some very serious damage done to us by the band and a few have completely had to have their stomachs removed because of the damage done by the band. I'm sure you will come across all that in your reading. If you have any questions I'd suggest posting on the sleeve forum they get more traffic than other forums. Good luck with your revision.

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/14 6:33 am - Hatboro, PA

Thanks!  I've been reading the VSG forums, and will definitely post over there when I have some questions about the procedure. 

MsBatt
on 7/17/14 5:33 am

First, why do you think you're unable to lose more with your Band? Do you journal your food? (If now, it's a good idea to start.) Do you simply eat too much, because the Band isn't giving you good restriction? How many total calroies do you eat each day, and how do they divide up into protein, fat, and carbs?

Since you're maintained a loss of 90 pounds, but still have another hundred to go, you should also be researching a procedure called the Duodenal Switch. The DS has the same fully-functional stomach as the VSG, plus an intestinal bypass that makes a dramatic, permanent change in the way your body metabolizes food. (It's the ONLY form of WLS that does this.) The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period.

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/14 6:14 am - Hatboro, PA

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my posting.  As far as my band goes, very rarely do I ever feel any restriction.  Usually only first thing in the morning do I have any restriction, and then most other times I feel like I can eat pretty much anything and everything.  Restriction is just very inconsistent.  I have 9 CC's in my band, and the maximum for the band is 11 CC's. 

I never considered any of the bypass procedures before I had the band because I already had more then enough stomach problems before surgery.  I had been diagnosed with Rapid Gastric Emptying (aka gastric dumping) a few years ago before I had my band surgery, so I'm worried about having more issues with dumping if I were to have a bypass procedure. 

I'm still very early on in the process of researching different options,  but I need to wait and see what the surgeons office says.  But I will definitely research all the available options, but I am leaning more towards the VSG when/if I do have revision surgery.

pineview01
on 7/17/14 2:46 pm - Davison, MI

I only lost 50% of my extra wight with the band and was considered a success as 40% is normal.  So you have done better than average with the band.  I revised to the sleeve and have lost 100%.  For me the number were 60 with the band and 120 total with the sleeve.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/14 6:19 am - Hatboro, PA

Wow, congratulations on your results after you had your revision.  Results like yours definitely give me hope that maybe I will have better results if I end up having revision surgery. 

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my post, I hope that you have a great weekend.

tdbull
on 7/20/14 12:44 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I also had 2 bands. First one I lost all of my weight but was literally choking to death and always getting emergency unfills, then fills, etc. A nightmare so surgeon removed that 4cc band and put in the 11cc band, where I regained 60lbs and never felt restriction. When I started having severe acid reflux, I considered revision to a different WLS. I finally revised to RNY last August and this was the best decision. I ever made. I originally wanted to revise to the Sleeve bc my brother had success with it, but my surgeon said sleeve may not eliminate my reflux. My brother still suffers from reflux with his sleeve. I haven't had one reflux episode since my revision. For me, revising to RNY was the best choice. I have lost all of my regained weight and more, and feel better than I have felt in 10 years.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

KoKoButter
on 7/20/14 3:48 am

Hi I was banded in 2012 and have gained all my weight back. I am researching a revision surgery and don't know how to approach my current  Dr. He doesn't perform the RNY . I am also researching costs of revision surgery. Can you share your experience with your insurance company and the process of going from the band to RNY?

Thanks,

KoKo

teri0021
on 7/20/14 4:22 am - Arvada, CO
RNY on 08/25/14

Hi everyone,

I had lap band surgery in 2008.  I lost almost 110 lbs in 9 months only to find out my band had eroded.  I lost it.  It was devastating for me.  I loved my band.  I've gained all my weight back and am waiting for revision here soon.  Still struggling with which surgery I want, but am so grateful my insurance finally changed so I have the opportunity to be on another journey again.  Hope everyone is doing well.....just wanted to chime in.  I'm back on OH after my hiatus since 2009.  Feels good to be back!

Most Active
Recent Topics