I wish I had known

jillbeme
on 7/20/14 2:42 pm
Revision on 07/29/14

To all of you that has had acid reflux at anytime in your life and considering the sleeve it can be a major factor. I wish I would have known.  I remember telling my surgeon about the acid reflux but it didn't seem to matter at that time.  He mentioned the rny for me and I questioned him regarding the sleeve and that was what we decided on.  Had I known that acid reflux could control my life as it does I would have jumped on the rny band wagon.   Now I am waiting for the insurance to make a decision on approving my revision. Tick tock tick tock.

Jill     

Ladytazz
on 7/21/14 3:00 pm

Back in 2002 when I had my first WLS it wasn't a known complication of the sleeve.  Right before my revision it was taking at least two PPIs a day and waking up at night choking on acid.

Since my revision 4 years ago I haven't had to take any PPIs, save for the first 3 months post op that my surgeon has all his patients taking them to prevent ulcers.

I don't know if I would have changed my surgery choice at that time even if I knew about it.  I was told about a lot of possible side effects that I blew off because I didn't think they would happen to me and they did.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

myangelbear77
on 7/24/14 3:12 am - Homestead, FL

Have you been checked for a Hiatal Hernia? As things often do they are now changing some of the standard practices for the sleeve procedure. They now have a method of repairing the top to prevent reflux issues and can repair. They even have a sleeve procedure where they fold the stomach tissue in instead of removing it. I have a revision scheduled for August to repair HH. I am still adamant about not wanting RNY and my Dr. agrees. Oh and my insurance is covering it as HH repair and NOT weight loss so the process for approval is easier.

Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics