Diet after DS

berryphila
on 8/18/14 10:21 am - Cherry Hill, NJ

I am early in my search.  Where can I find an honest description of the diet after DS surgery?  Thanks.

Hislady
on 8/19/14 3:30 pm - Vancouver, WA

If you go to dsfacts.com that should give you all the info you need on the DS.

berryphila
on 8/19/14 4:10 pm - Cherry Hill, NJ

Thank you!

MsBatt
on 8/25/14 7:48 am

Since whatever you eat is technically your 'diet', I suppose there is one after the DS. But it's not like any 'diet' you've ever been on!

Most DSers, once they reach maintenance, eat 2500-3000 calories a day. Most eat 125+ grams of protein a day, all the fat we care to (since we only absorb abut 20% of it, and the body needs at least 30 grams a day to function properly. That means we need a minimum of 150 grams, in order to absorb 30.)

I will soon be 11 years post-DS. A typical day for me would be a half-pound of bacon and a couple of eggs for breakfast,  some sort of meat/veggie/sauce casserole for lunch, and dinner might be a steak, salad, a few bites of baked potato, a yeast roll, and a few bites of dessert, along with a glass or two of tea. Along the way, I'll have a couple of snacks, typically cheese, nuts, meat, etc.---something high in protein and fat.

I try to be moderate in my carb intake, but there is NOTHING that I simply never eat. (Unless, of course, I just don't LIKE it!)

There are several FB DS-centered groups where you can talk with long-term DSers. (5+ years post-op.) Everyone's a bit different, but you can get a good idea of what's typical.

berryphila
on 8/25/14 10:18 am - Cherry Hill, NJ

Thank you so  much for responding.  I am early in my revision journey.  Had roux ended y in 2003.  Gained all my weight back.  Very discouraged.  Don't know if my insurance company will be on board.

Valerie G.
on 8/28/14 8:16 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm cresting on 9 years post DS and my daily eating is pretty close to Ms. Batt

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics