Appointment scheduled to discuss revision

mschimpf
on 9/5/14 7:05 am

Hello! I had my lapband in April of 2008 and lost about 45 pounds. I never could get the "sweet" spot with my band and ended up having my band totally unfilled after having upper GIs done and them unable to determine why I couldn't get anything down when there was any fluid at all in my band. I have decided to discuss the options for a revision and am leaning towards the sleeve but will be open to bypass as well. I have an appointment scheduled for October 6th to see what the doctor has to say. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should ask the doctor?

pineview01
on 9/5/14 7:14 am, edited 9/10/14 11:47 am - Davison, MI

I had a band in 09 did about like you and ended up having medical issues from the band.  I now have a sleeve and am loving it.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Virgie Tschirhart
on 9/6/14 9:15 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

If you have acid reflux, it would be better if you choose  the RNY.   I had the LB in 2008, same thing no sweet spot, but I did get bad reflux I had a Hiatal Hernia.   2009 I had the Sleeve my acid reflux became worse, the Hiatal Hernia is bigger now.   I am in the process of revising to a RNY. 

Best wishes to you! 

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

Chilipepper
on 9/6/14 11:28 am

Rny is the way I would go if you have reflux. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

pineview01
on 9/10/14 11:51 am - Davison, MI

They didn't state they had reflux.  Also those that didn't reflux until they got the band don't need to go RNY.  I had horrible acid reflux at the end.  I sleep sitting up and felt like I was drowning in it.  The band was removed and I was sleeved four months later.  I am over 1.5 years out and no acid reflux.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Chilipepper
on 9/10/14 12:34 pm

You are very early out.  I am happy you are Doing so well. It's best for the OP to research all of their options. The VSG has been successful but you are starting to see many revising to either an RNY or a DS. Some don't do well with a strictly restrictive diet.  

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

pineview01
on 9/10/14 1:17 pm - Davison, MI

Yes I am early with the sleeve but had the band for almost 4 years,  My sister is almost three years out with the sleeve and my daughter is almost four.  I have done years of research on WLS and talked them into the VSG and out of band.  My oldest sister had a DS eight years ago so I have been following WLS surgery research for many years.

I believe there are those revising from sleeve to rny that have been using ppi's and don't understand them and the effects and how to stop them.  My daughter was having this issue but hadn't said anything to me.  When I found out I explained it to her and she is now reflux free and not looking to revise to rny.

Yes there are some people that don't do well with a strictly restrictive diet.  My oldest sister wouldn't have done well will just the sleeve.

mschimpf
on 9/10/14 2:42 pm

I have never had any issues with reflux. 

Chilipepper
on 9/12/14 11:47 am

Do you think trading one restrictive only procedure for another restrictive procedure is going to get you where you want to be?  

Ashley in Belgium
on 9/10/14 5:50 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I had a Band placed in 2006 and revised to RNY in 2013.  I am very happy with my choice.  In your shoes I would take the time to discuss with your surgeon truthfully your eating patterns and habits.  What your triggers are and how you use food to cope in life.  This will help him or her to advise you on which of the 3 surgery choices will most likely fit you best.  They all have good points, limitations and drawbacks.  I think you are best served to be open to it all and allow yourself to be guided by his/her expertise.  All of us here have an opinion about our surgery, only you and your surgeon will know what is the right choice given your unique cir****tances.  Good luck on October 6th!  Keep us posted.

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Most Active
Recent Topics