Sleeve to Bypass due to Reflux and BMI 28.5

Ginka
on 9/12/14 2:41 pm - Australia

Hi everyone. I am new here and hope to find advice as there is not much out there in the FB groups. I particularly interested in hearing from people that were revised from sleeve to bypass and had a lower than bypass normal BMI during the revision.

I had the sleeve 2.5 years ago and went from a 38.5 BMI to 26.5. Now I have put on 10kg in last 8 months from grazing which was influenced by my reflux. My reflux has got worse the last 12 months and I am now doubling medication and it is still there. Driving me nuts!

the doctor has recommended I have Bypass to solve my reflux and help reduce regain. My current BMI is 28.5. But now that weight is not a big impact on my decision making as I have reduced obesity related health risks, I am scared about malnutrition, food intolerances, surgery risks, and getting too skinny, etc, ect. I am also aware of the long term health risks of living with reflux. So seeking your advice on your experiences. Thank you.

Hislady
on 9/13/14 4:46 am - Vancouver, WA

First they need to determine what is causing the reflux, is it an ulcer, hiatal hernia or from the sleeve itself. The sleeve can cause or make GERD worse but it is not the only reason for it. If it is the sleeve then yes either bypass and sometimes ds will clear up the GERD. The sleeve does increase chances that there will be GERD issues.

Ginka
on 9/14/14 5:02 pm - Australia

The reflux is caused from a stretched oesophagus and gullet and food, acid and liquids pour up it easily.

JakeLC
on 9/14/14 5:04 am

I am having a band to sleeve revision and one of my problems is acid.  Having the band  this is probably the cause for it, it is well documented that the removing the band helps with the acid problems.  My dr did tell me that if I continued to have   acid reflux that medication did not control I would need to convert to a bypass.  They call it the anti reflux surgery for weight loss or something to that effect.  I think it is a common recommendation when dealing with reflux. I do not have a bypass but  this route seems to be the one most surgeons recommend. 

Ginka
on 9/14/14 4:59 pm - Australia

Thanks Jake. I read that it is most likely that u will continue to have reflux with the Sleeve or it may get worse for you. These surgeries are scary.  Take care.

Ladytazz
on 9/14/14 12:15 pm

In 2002 I had a sleeve as part of  my original WLS.  They were done differently but GERD was definitely a big part of my life, to the point of waking up gagging on acid.

I had a revision in 2010 to a RNY pouch, not at all related to my reflux and it totally cured the problem.  I haven't taken a PPI since 3 months post op when my surgeon has all his patients take them.

No problem at all.  I hope this helps.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Ginka
on 9/14/14 4:57 pm - Australia

Thank u for taking the time to respond. I am finding it hard getting info from people. 

Virgie Tschirhart
on 9/15/14 11:59 am, edited 9/15/14 12:00 pm - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

Hello Ginka,  

I had the LB in 2008, did not lose that much weight and had a bad acid reflux which produced a Hiatal Hernia.  In 2009, my LB got revised to a Sleeve, the doctor said that he repaired the HH. Still did not get to my goal lost some, but gained back most of what I lost.  Hiatal Hernia is bigger now and the acid reflux is worse.  It wakes me up in the middle of the night gagging and burning terribly.  

New surgeon right now wants to revise my Sleeve to the RNY, so I'm going through the hoops right now getting my requirements, appointments, etc.... Wish I had the chosen the RNY from the very start.  

Yes, this will be my 3rd surgery, I just pray it will be the last and the Hiatal Hernia will be no more!

I'm sorry about your situation, I pray there is a healthy solution for you and the acid reflux go and not come back and for you to be able to reduce again.  Blessings to you Ginka!!!  Australia Rocks, hope to go and visit one day!

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

She's Fabulous
on 11/10/14 1:17 am

OMG!!! I signed up to this sight looking for someone who shared my story!  Band in 07, sleeve in 13 and scheduled RNY on 12/5/14.  I've regained about 30-35 lbs and I'm curious about the weight loss with this type of revision.

Virgie Tschirhart
on 11/12/14 9:26 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

Hi She's Fabulous,  I have decided not to have the RNY.  I started losing weight again, I started back in August with the 3 month diet and I know that I can lose and get to my goal.  Also, my reflux has actually stopped, since I don't overeat like I used to.  I have actually stopped eating the white carbs, fried food and stopped the Coke Zero.   Best wishes to you!   

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

Most Active
Recent Topics