I have ANXIETY about the revision...

chareabryson
on 9/17/14 2:33 am

Real quick (background) I had my initial surgery 11/25/2002 I was 323, I went to 225 (at my lowest) now I am at 274.  I began to inquire about a revision to get this excess weight off that I have gained over the last 12 years.  I want at least 80 to a 100 lbs off.  I had in my mind that I wanted to do a duodenal switch.  Everywhere I go, I am told that is the best revision to do.  I went to the surgeon, had an endoscopy done, met with the nutrionist and have been cleared for a revision.  I was told that my pouch had stretched more than any they had ever seen.  Which I question how, I can acknowledge I hadn't been eating the right foods, but my intake was still quite minimal.  Anyhow, I was told this morning that my surgeon didn't do the DS and that I had to have a GJ anastimosic revision.  Is anyone familiar with this procedure.  It is simply the restructuring (retightening) of the pouch.  Is this a beneficial procedure.  Should I seek out a surgeon that can do the DS? Has anyone had any success with this type of revision?  I don't want to waste time and effort on something that ultimate is based upon diet and not really a procedure that will help the weight loss process.

I appeciate all feed back as I am so confused now. Help me if you.. Thanks in advance

Charea

Chilipepper
on 9/17/14 4:36 am

So you want a DS.  Then go find a DS surgeon. Don't sabotage your success because you didn't get the surgery you wanted.  First though you have to see if you insurance will cover it.   

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

chareabryson
on 9/22/14 4:33 am

I did find a DS surgeon, he is reveiwing my information from the first surgeon.. I already checked, my insurance does cover it. Thank you for responding.

bublegirl1
on 9/17/14 7:03 am
RNY on 11/10/14

Have you talked about the RNY at all? True the malabsorption doesn't last a lifetime but there are pros to that surgery as well. I had vsg in 2010 and am in the middle of getting approval to RNY. I researched both and felt for me, RNY was a better choice. At first I wanted to tighten the sleeve but I'd rather have the help of the malabsorption for the first 18-24 months to help get to goal. Good luck with whichever you choose!

-Amie

Chilipepper
on 9/17/14 7:11 am

Amie. I know they say you only have malabsorption for a certain amount of time and they make it sound like its on some kind of stopwatch. There is a honeymoon period yes, but ask any revision surgeon and they will all say you will always have some level of malabsorption though not as much as early on. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

bublegirl1
on 9/17/14 7:20 am, edited 9/17/14 7:21 am
RNY on 11/10/14

Ok seriously THANK you for saying that!! Cuz my surgeon did just tell me it's forever but diminishes over time. And i had never heard that and got worried he was off his rocker, as much as I love him! Lol thanks!!

-Amie

chareabryson
on 9/22/14 4:35 am

I initially had the RNY, and the surgeon wants to do a revision to the RNY, I had my mind set for the DS but now Im just totally confused.  The revision  is a 50/50 toss.. I heard some people lose 10 lbs, while others lose over a 100.  I am sure it has something to do with intake.  Thank you so much for your feed back.

Laura in Texas
on 9/19/14 10:19 pm

Keep in mind that RNY to DS revision is the most complicated revision. Only a handful of surgeons in the country are truly qualified to do it. You can have a lifetime of serious issues if you go to someone who does not know what they are doing. Please research surgeons very carefully. I would recommend posting to the DS forum if you have not already.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

chareabryson
on 9/22/14 4:38 am

thank you for your feedback.. i think you just scared me slightly lol..  and added to my confusion.  I had horrible COMPLICATIONS the first time, and omg wouldn't want to endure anything like that again.  I just wanted to go with the most beneficial route.  This surgeon (as Atlanta only has 2) has a ton of POSITIVE reviews.  I always check out my surgeons.  I guess I just need to speak with him and get his feedback.  Thanks for replying

chareabryson
on 9/22/14 4:38 am

I AM MORE CONFUSED THAN EVER... OMGOSH

Most Active
Recent Topics