$$$$$$$$$

km30381
on 9/17/14 6:41 am

I am having my band removed and want to get a sleeve.  my doc. doesn't like to do both at the same time.  Insurance will pay for the band removal but concerned about it covering the sleeve in a few months.  The band worked great for me and I am no longer considered overweight.  Do I have to get obese again for insurance to cover a sleeve?  Self pays...how much are we talkin here?

Hislady
on 9/17/14 6:51 am - Vancouver, WA

It all depends on your insurance as to how it will cover things so you would need to talk to them. I believe my surgeon charges $15,000-$17000 for a virgin sleeve. It will also depend on how much damage the band has done. Good luck!

pineview01
on 9/17/14 9:28 am - Davison, MI

I had my band removed and went to a sleeve.  My surgeon won't do the both at the same time due to the increase in risk.  The one surgeon wants you to wait 2-4 months and the other 4-6 months.  I was 4.5 months out.  My insurance went to once in a life time WLS.  They agreed to the band removal for medical reason but, I had to fight to get the sleeve.  I was able to show documentation on 3.5 years of medical problems.  I was approved but had to met all the original criteria and would be denied at each step and than would have to re fight for approval at each step.

I also had to do 6 sessions of extra therapy for the revision.  I had to have to have a co-morb and BMI of 35 as I was no longer bmi 40.  When I started the fight I was below 35.  But after the band was removed staying under 35 was hard.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics