Introduction. Looking for support. Awaiting approval on revision in Georgia.

(deactivated member)
on 9/22/14 5:11 pm

Hello. My name is Marlena Marie. I had a Vertical Banded Gastroplasty in 1990. I have had problems with severe GERD now Barrett's Esophagus, large hiatal hernia and I just found out that there is something wrong with the mylex band. My stomach looks like an hourglass. Due to the Barrett's, I have been advised by two surgeons to get an RNY. I'm awaiting insurance approval from Cigna open access plus. I just wanted to say hello! 

bublegirl1
on 9/23/14 10:39 am
RNY on 11/10/14

Welcome! I'm sorry you're having the troible you are. I'm also awaiting approval for a revision from VSG to RNY. Hope yours goes smoothly!

-Amie

adsmith75
on 9/30/14 6:03 am

Hi 

I am also a vsg patient. I had my surgery in 2010. I did lose 108lbs but it gained most of it back after having two babies. I am also considering RNY. I thought I read that you have BCBS Federal as well. How was the approval process for you? I know it's almost time for another year which means meeting a deductible again and I really want it done before this happens. Any suggestions? How did you find your surgeon? Did someone recommend him to you?

bublegirl1
on 9/30/14 6:41 am
RNY on 11/10/14

I actually have Aetna insurance. I know what you mean about the out of pocket. I got lucky and had my vsg covered at 100%. But I'm no where near that for the RNY so I'm having to pay almost $2500. Have you met with your surgeon yet?

-Amie

adsmith75
on 9/30/14 6:51 am

I think I had to pay $250.00 which was great. I'm going to attend Dr. Williams seminar and hopefully get the process started. I also feel the same about the DS very nervous about it. The RNY seems like a smaller step less riskier step overall to me.

Monica757
on 9/25/14 5:51 am - VA

Hi Marlena,
I just had a revision on 08.18.14! I had a gastric bypass in 2005 and regained the weight. I developed an ulcer and it was removed when they did the revision. Sorry to hear you are having so many problems. I hope you hear from the insurance company with an approval soon!

Andie
on 9/29/14 8:26 pm - FRANKFORT, OH

Marlena, would love to know how you are getting along...did you have a DS this time...hoping you are doing well

adsmith75
on 9/30/14 12:33 am

Hi, Andie

I had the gastric sleeve in 2010 and am currently seeking a revision to RNY. I was wondering who is your surgeon in Georgia.

Andie
on 9/30/14 3:00 am - FRANKFORT, OH

I live in Ohio and am researching the revision from a RnY to a DS...the fact is that I haven't found a Dr in this state that does this complicated surgery..have you considered the DS?  Good luck with your process.

adsmith75
on 9/30/14 5:53 am

I thought about the DS but I am nervous about the long term malabsorption process. I am researching more about it and possibly considering it. Initially did the rny work well for you and were there any complications?

Most Active
Recent Topics