Looking for Members who have Been Re-Sleeved or Had Second Sleeve (Cross Posted in VSG...

Quanita L.
on 9/24/14 8:56 am - Adelaide, Australia
VSG on 11/12/14

Hi

I know there are some who do this due to issues with their first surgery, I am hoping to find anyone who has been sleeved again because their sleeve worked and they regained all their lost weight. I am interested in knowing if things felt significantly different in surgery with recovery, going through the motions the first 6 weeks and also any advice and tips as someone who is trying to correct their behaviour from first sleeve.

Also more than happy to receive general advice from those trying again.

Q Re-VSG & Plicated 12Nov2014 (all kg) HW: 110 '06 & 98 '14 SW : 89 CW: 81.3 Pre-Surgery: -9 M1: -6.3 M2: -1.4  TTL: -16.7    

bublegirl1
on 9/24/14 5:32 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

I had the sleeve in 2010. Never got to goal and gained half of what I lost, back. Kept the rest off for two years. Spoke to surgeon about tightening the sleeve and he recommended RNY because of the malabsoription with it. I researched the DS and really don't want that. So I thought about it and read about it for over a year and decided to go ahead with RNY. Had my endoscopy Monday so now I wait for insurance approval. 

I wish you luck with whatever you choose!

-Amie

Quanita L.
on 9/25/14 8:40 am - Adelaide, Australia
VSG on 11/12/14

Thank you for your reply Amie.

I went to see 2 surgeons, one my first and another to check on things so I would have a more objective view.

The surgeon who didn't do my original surgery suggested RNY- but their practise has a blanket no second sleeve policy. 

The surgeon who did do my original surgery agreed RNY would be a next step - he suggested what he called an omega bypass (mini by pass) -from what I have read on here  this type of bypass is not covered by most insurers in the US - statistically same loss rates as RNY but less complications, less dumping or reflux issues and a shorter surgery time.  He also said that as part of that procedure I would essentially also be re-sleeved anyway.

He has agreed that if he does re-sleeve me, we can view that as a stage one of the mini by pass and if in the medium term things don't work out we can look at revising the second sleeve to that bypass.

So this is what I am going to try first. I am open minded about having the sleeve revised down the track if things don't work - ie I behave myself and the sleeve doesn't - as opposed to me not addressing my behavioral issues correctly.

Good Luck with your RNY!

Q Re-VSG & Plicated 12Nov2014 (all kg) HW: 110 '06 & 98 '14 SW : 89 CW: 81.3 Pre-Surgery: -9 M1: -6.3 M2: -1.4  TTL: -16.7    

Ruth Bostick
on 9/26/14 10:12 am - Statesville, NC

HI Quanita,

I just had my revision from the RNY to the RNY on Monday 22 September 2014, because the Stoma which is the opening of the stomach had widened so much that the food was just falling in and I gained all kinds of weight. I also had a more enlarged stomach again not, a pouch anymore. I now feel great! Because I just got re-educated by the "New" nutritionist who gave me all kinds of awesome ideas for both eating and drinking again this time. This is the end days of my 55 year life and I am determined to live it healthy so I can see my grandchildren get through college and living a happy life themselves!  You won't regret doing it right and having a second chance at getting it this time around, Quanita!

Good Luck with whatever you decide, Quanita.

Ruth Bostick
on 9/26/14 10:18 am - Statesville, NC

I've lost 14.2lbs. already!

tlew
on 11/21/14 12:55 am

How is it going?> What behavior changes have you made to be successful?  How do you know if you pouch has been stretched out? (in my case my sleeve)

Cherie K.
on 4/24/16 1:16 am - Hong Kong

What do you mean revision from RNY to RNY?  They can re-do that surgery???

Cherie K.
on 4/24/16 1:00 am - Hong Kong

Why don't you want DS?  How is it different from RNY... aren't they both malabsorption?

bublegirl1
on 4/24/16 1:12 am
RNY on 11/10/14

Just after reading about it, it's a higher risk surgery. The malabsorption is more severe with the DS. It's like that forever which is a plus as the malabsorption on rny tapers off. My surgeon said there's a 25% chance of permanent diarrhea with DS. Also although you need a high amount of protein with any of the surgeries, with the amount of malabsorption you have with DS you need even more and the amount of vitamin supplements needed is higher as well. Just didn't feel a good fit for me but a lot have done it and love it. Just a personal choice. 

-Amie

Cherie K.
on 4/24/16 1:19 am - Hong Kong

So... did you have the RNY or a re-sleeve?  What are the results?  I have had VSG but I'm now looking at re-sleeve or mini-bypass... I want re-sleeve but I don't know if it will have the same results second time around...

Most Active
Recent Topics