BOB? RNY TO DS? RNY TO RNY? ALL HAVE SLOW WEIGHT LOSS

TryingHard18
on 9/25/14 12:03 pm - atlanta, GA

I am trying to decide which surgery to revise to.  However in it seems that whatever surgery I revise to, I will have slow weight loss.

Which would I have the most success?  Which is worth it?

Hislady
on 9/25/14 12:08 pm - Vancouver, WA

The DS will work for the rest of your life, that would be my choice.Most all revisioners lose slower than a virgin surgery, that is just the way it is.

bublegirl1
on 9/25/14 2:28 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

I don't know that there's a blanket of slow weight loss on revision for everyone. I've seen people lose very well and quick with a second surgery. I asked my surgeon about my particular case going from sleeve to RNY. I emailed him about it and his reply was " current data showed no significant difference in weight loss pattern after sleeve or without it, but the numbers of observation are small". 

I wouldn't base my decision solely on rate of weightloss. Just what lifestyle would fit you best. But I wish you luck with whatever you decide! 

-Amie

Chilipepper
on 9/26/14 11:46 am

I agree completely. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Kingsmom
on 9/26/14 12:58 pm

I had a band so I would not recommend that. Too much trouble down the road, read the band complication forums and you will see it is not a long term solution. Did not know you could really  have a DS after having an RNY. 

Got rid of my band!  Got a sleeve! 

VSG with Dr Wilhelmy Mexicali Bariatric Center 

MsBatt
on 9/28/14 8:02 am

You can, but it requires a VERY experienced surgeon. The pouch and the remnant stomach must be put back together first, then a Sleeve formed and the intestine reconfigured. There are only a handful of surgeons who do a true RNY-toDS revision.

cboone
on 11/4/14 9:49 pm

who do you recommend?

TryingHard18
on 9/26/14 2:34 pm - atlanta, GA

Thanks for all of the advice. 

Sherrie P.
on 9/28/14 11:21 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Do NOT do band over bypass.  Just don't.  Look at all the failed lapbands out there and the last thing you want it to revise into something with such a high fail rate.

If you do your research thoroughly and find a truly vetted DS to RNY surgeon I would go that route.

I would have revised to DS over RNY myself but my BMI wasn't high enough for my insurance to approve it. 

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

TryingHard18
on 9/28/14 12:41 pm - atlanta, GA

Thanks Sherrie. I have decided against it. I appreciate your post. 

Most Active
Recent Topics