Band to sleevers...why is my weight loss so slow?

claricey
on 9/25/14 11:29 am

I don't mean to sound ungrateful for the weight that I have lost but today is 5 weeks and 2 days out from surgery and only down 19 pounds. When I had my lap band originally I lost 30 pounds in 30 days. 

Im eating on plan and no more than 800 calories a day. I'm even exercising on the stationary bike 4x per week. I'm beginning to get very discouraged. 

I would love to hear from anyone that has had revision and if they feel this way. 

Thank you!

Hislady
on 9/25/14 12:04 pm - Vancouver, WA

You were very lucky to lose that much that fast with a band! The average loss with a band is 1-2 lbs a week and that isn't until you have good restriction. So you were the exception not the rule. Most revisioners, no matter what the surgery, lose slower once they revise. I don't think anyone does know it just happens that way. So just br patient it may take awhile but if you stick with the diet plan it will work.

claricey
on 9/25/14 10:58 pm

Thanks for the reply!  I am not the most patient person but I have noticed my clothes fitting better...so even though the scale is not moving as fast as I would like I know there are things happening to my body and I'm heading to a more healthy and happy life.  I am sticking with it no matter what :)

cordel75
on 9/25/14 2:17 pm - Butler, PA

I am currently in the process of figuring out what type of revision I want, currently have a band...looking at RNY and Sleeve...in doing my research it is a 50/50 on having a slow or fast loss after revision. No one seems to know why, it is just how it is. I have readsleeve is the worst, some say it is because going from one restriction to another restriction hinders the loss...but then again I have read some sleevers have had great success with the revision. I know it does not help much but at least you are losing...stay positive and hopefully it will start to fall off soon.

Surgery - Lap Band / Date: 09/04/09 - AP Large (14cc band): Highest Weight - 310 / Surgery Weight - 284 / Current (lowest) Weight - 223 / Goal Weight - 145
Revision Surgery - Sleeve / scheduled: 12/02/14:  Highest Weight - 295  Surgery Weight - ???  Current Weight - 282  Goal Weight - 145

claricey
on 9/25/14 11:02 pm

Thanks for the reply!  I think when I chose the sleeve it was for every other reason than "rate of weight loss".  I didn't really factor that in.  I knew I would lose weight and be restricted and that's what I really wanted.  I knew that I would not have dealt well with mal-absorption and some of the other characteristics of the RNY or bypass surgeries so that's how I came to my decision.  One other thing I have to keep in mind is that I'm 4 1/2 years older now than when I had my band done and I'm in peri-menopause so this HAS to be a factor in this as well.  I know I need to be patient and I am trying my best.  As you said I AM losing and I just need to stay positive.  Thanks again!

MsBatt
on 9/27/14 2:20 am

There's a third option you should research as well, called the Duodenal Switch. The DS is the form of WLS that has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, ND the best stats for resolving or preventing diabetes and high cholesterol. The DS actually changes your metabolism, permanently.

Kingsmom
on 9/26/14 1:10 pm

I had a revision from band to sleeve 7 weeks ago and have lost roughly 30 lbs.  It is slower for me too  but  I was expecting it to be.  I stalled for 2 weeks which was VERY frustrating but moved past it. During those 2 weeks I had to remind myself  of the problems I had with the band and not focus on the fast weight loss I had initially because ultimately  the band  did not work for me. Stick to the plan and wait for the weightloss. I am back to losing again.  It is a mental game all the way, do not get discouraged, we got a  better tool so we will do better! 

Got rid of my band!  Got a sleeve! 

VSG with Dr Wilhelmy Mexicali Bariatric Center 

claricey
on 9/27/14 12:40 am

Thank for replying. I know you are absolutely right. I need to just keep doing the right things. My nut changed up my ratio of fat/carbs to see if we can jump start things. Something akin to carb cycling but she's thinking more of monthly changes rather than weekly or daily.   Thanks again!

pineview01
on 9/26/14 1:28 pm - Davison, MI

You were lucky to lose 30 pounds in 30 days with the band.  I took me months to lose that much.  I started out losing slow with the sleeve but verily hit overweight with the band and am normal with the sleeve.  Some lose slower with a revision.  Were you sleeved at a lower weight than banded.  This is usual the case and the less you have to lose the slower it goes.  

19 pounds is almost exactly what I lost in that time frame.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

claricey
on 9/27/14 12:42 am

Yes I was sleeved at about 28 pounds less than when I was banded. It does seem to be the norm for slower loss to occur with a revision. Thanks for replying!  I'll keep focused and plug on. I know I can't stay 266 on 800 calories per day. 😃

Most Active
Recent Topics