Considering the Options for Revision

kd_blue75
on 10/16/14 4:13 am

I have been banded since 2009. I initially lost about 30 pounds, but soon realized I had no restriction and could eat anything i wanted. I, of course, did eat anything.  I maintained that for a while, then started to re-gain.  I am now 15 pound over my initial high weight.  I followed up with my lap band doctor and eventually, after feeling like a complete failure, stopped going.  I continued to call in at least yearly.  I got fills, unfills, upper GI and never any restriction.  I started having severe reflux recently and found out my doctor's office closed.  I have struggled to find and get into a new clinic.

Yesterday I met with the NP at the new clinic and loved her.  She talked about the problems associated with the band, the sleeve and the bypass.  She recommended the by-pass as the most tried and true.  My question is if I have failed at one surgery, is it worth getting a second.  I have three months and have decided to really focus on changes I need to make anyway....but feel that due to the amount of weight i need to loose, i may need the extra tool that the band was SUPPOSED to be. 

Any thoughts?  Just wondering.  Thanks.

Carmen C.
on 10/16/14 5:58 am
RNY on 08/08/12

I had the sleeve lost 60 - gained back 70

Did the RNY only lost 25 pounds- not sure why

Now looking for revision for DS 

bublegirl1
on 10/16/14 12:27 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

What are your surgeons thoughts aboit why you didnt lose more with rny? You stayed on track with the nutrition requirements? 

-Amie

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 10/18/14 4:58 pm

You had the sleeve stomach before, which was cut up again to make it into the RNY pouch, but the sleeve stomach is what would have been needed for the DS. Too many untrained (in DS) surgeons making everything thing into RNYs, even though you already have the first half of a superior surgery.

You do not have a surgeon that can do that revision, if any can. The only chance may be Keshishian or Rabkin in CA, but again, too much cutting may have already happened. 

I have also gained a lot 4 years after my sleeve. How have you approached your surgeon and insurance companies? Are they willing to work with you? Many thanks!

Lucy van Pelt 
 Highest 255 Surgery 248 Current 170
Goal: 150

JakeLC
on 10/16/14 3:06 pm

Did she discuss the Ds as an option?  

kd_blue75
on 10/16/14 10:47 pm

I asked about DS and she said that they didn't do that surgery.  

Amy R.
on 10/19/14 3:33 pm, edited 10/19/14 3:34 pm
On October 17, 2014 at 5:47 AM Pacific Time, kd_blue75 wrote:

I asked about DS and she said that they didn't do that surgery.  

Look, I'm not real big into the DS - I don't think it's the magically "best" WLS for every single body, but I'll tell you what I do think.  I think that I would find a surgeon who does all of the surgeries, including the Duodenal Switch, and  get that surgeon's opinion.

I get that you love  your NP, but you really don't want to have to have yet another revision if what you choose now is not what will work for you.  Only someone who offers the full range of surgeries can give an informed opinion.

Val posted some really good questions at the bottom of this thread.  You may want to take a look.

Best of luck, whatever  you decide.

edited: you can always go back to the office you like if you decide to go with what they offer.  At least you'd  know you'd gotten a second opinion.

roseygirl
on 10/17/14 3:04 pm

I chose the sleeve as least invasive and no malabsorbtion. my doctor said they don't even do bands anymore because they are so unsuccessful. I was a band failure and so scared I would get something else and be a failure at that too. I'm not going to lie even it two weeks out if I wanted to I could eat a high enough amount of calories that I would not lose. So it does take some work mentally but I love the VSG and my only regret is not doing it sooner. Also, I figured if I ever find myself on a path to gaining again and I'm afraid this is failing me I will convert to ds.

VSG Surgery 10/02/14

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Ashley in Belgium
on 10/18/14 5:12 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I am thrilled with my revision to RNY and would do it again in a heartbeat.  I lost all my regain and currently below goal at 14 months out. All of the problems I had with the Band - choking, reflux, etc are gone. I didn't consider the sleeve as I had reflux issues caused by the Band and I knew that trading one non-malabsorbtion WLS for another wasn't right for me. 

Good luck! Getting rid of the Band is a huge first step. Don't give up on yourself. 

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Most Active
Recent Topics