goodbye to my band?

Rachel DiLo
on 11/14/14 3:00 am

Okay so I feel like I have been battling my band for the past year. I want to get it removed and revise to the bypass. I finished my psych eval and I did 3months of nutrition counseling. But because I got a new job with different insurance, now they want another 3 months of nutrition counseling and I was told I am going to have a nice hefty deductible. So, my options are to struggle with my band and continue vomiting everyday. Or I can have it taken out next month. I can still continue the process for the bypass, but I don't even know if I can afford it at this point. I'm stuck, quite literally.  I had my heart set on having the bypass done over winter break. I am so upset. To add insult to injury, I was getting ready for an interview after I got the call, and my pants ripped when I was putting them on. I cried so hard last night, it was such a low for me. I am only 25 years old! It shouldn't be so hard for me to lose weight. And I try...to no avail. I dream of a day when my belly doesn't jiggle and my thighs don't rub. 

That aside, has anyone had the band completely removed and not had another surgery? Was it super painful? Anyone out there have the band out and then have to wait to get the bypass (or something else)? I am terrified of gaining more weight, but the band has to go one way or another. I don't know what to do anymore 

*~*RacheL*~*

"I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past."

Hislady
on 11/14/14 6:03 am - Vancouver, WA

My advice is to get the band out ASAP just so it doesn't cause any more damage or God forbid permanent damage like many of us have. So do that right away and then maybe shoot for spring break for revision to another surgery. I had my band removed in Feb. and have only gained 10 lbs. I have also kept my calories around 1000, you will have to diet and struggle like we all do until you can get the revision. Like I said tho the most important thing is to get that band out before it causes permanent damage or your insurance changes and you end up having to pay for removal yourself! Good luck !

Sherrie P.
on 11/14/14 8:45 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Well - have you had a total unfill?  I would try that first.  I was unfilled for a few years before my revision. It was better than daily vomiting!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

airbender
on 11/14/14 9:34 am

yes I had the band removed and had to wait a few months to heal, that surgery was so easy, had the surgery in the am, went home before noon the same day.

Trying_Again2
on 11/15/14 4:08 pm

Hello Rachel,

I was banded 2/2004, and like you threw up almost everything many times a day.I fought it until i decided no more and wanted a revision.I went through everything that was required and they removed my band 9/2013.The Dr i was seeing at the time told me he would not proceed with the gastric  for 6 months to allow the stomach time to heal.He also said yeah i know the band wasn't working but you will still gain weight, and true to his word i did, about 18#s, but i cant exercise to burn anything i eat either.I put myself on a very high protein diet one week and clear liquids the next and have since took that back off plus, but i am still able to eat more healthy and keep it down so not looking at all the high sugar stuff that flows right through bands.I do not regret my decision to have it removed, and i think i am glad for the oppertunity for stomach to reshape before moving forward, I am currently in last phase for duodenal switch which is supposed to be 1/2015....What a way to bring in the new year.....if i cant push him up *smile*

Good Luck in your Journey

Pam

o10coa
on 11/16/14 8:53 am
VSG on 03/09/15

I just had mine taken out 4 days ago.  i was not loosing anything with it, instead gaining.  Had it since 2007 i was happy for a while but frustrated that to loose weight it was really hard, in the end i questioned the use of the band, and having to live with all the inconveniences of having it but, not the benefits.  I will see my doctor tomorrow for follow up and consider going for VSG.  To me the removal was not what i expected.  my stomach is very sore and i could not move much the first or second day.  the general anesthesia stayed in my system and made me very dizzy.  could not go back to work as i expected.  

KSFNP1
on 11/18/14 12:33 pm

Hey Rachel,

I had my band removed on 10/22/14 and I'm scheduled for bypass on Thursday. I was a special situation- the tubing to the port became disconnected to the band AND all the fill came out about one year ago, so it was pretty much like not having a band at all after it working pretty well for 6 years! I definitely noticed a huge difference in hunger, but that should be obvious. I didn't do it the right way by continuing low-calorie daily intake (I stayed around 1600-1800 cals daily), so I gained back all the weight that I lost and it was pretty easy to gain it despite sticking with healthy choices. I wasn't used to the feeling of hunger, so I still sometimes wake up in the middle of the night hungry and REFUSE to eat lol...I think it's just my brain and stomach being very confused!

The band removal is super easy- I went in the morning and was home by 4 pm the same day! It was somewhat painful where the port was removed, but I didn't feel a thing where the actual band was removed from around the stomach. I was up and about 3 days after surgery and barely took any of the pain meds! 

I agree with the other posts here... you really need to have the band removed ASAP. I'd worry more about causing harm to your body by recurrent vomiting and less about gaining weight at this point. I totally understand your fears though! 

Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics