Revision, WITHOUT removing the band??? Worried

misswinter
on 11/16/14 9:33 am

Hello,

I was banded in 2010 and only lost about 50 lbs.  I began my journey 200 lbs overweight, which means that I still have over 100 lbs to lose. I wish my surgeon back then had told me that the band was not the right type of WLS for me, but I had my operation at NYU and the lapband is their gold cow (they make lots and lots of money just on band operations).

I'm now looking to have a revision at Columbia University Medical Center (where I work) and I initially asked for a sleeve revision. MY surgeon told me that she would not recommend the sleeve for me and explained that although my band is still positioned correctly, my esophagus is enlarged (or en-longed?) and there is likely scar tissue; she mentioned that my risks of leaking are about 20% with the sleeve, as opposed to 2% to 5% for people who go for the sleeve without revision. She then explained to me that the gastric bypass is the best option and that she can leave the band in and work around it. She says that they will take all the liquids out and it will be like I don't have a band, but I won't suffer the consequences and potential risks that people *****move the band and do revisions suffer. She also mentioned that if in a few years my pouch becomes enlarged and I'm gaining weight, I can start using my band again.

I'm really conflicted because I do want this damn (excuse my language) thing out!!! It has morphed the shape of my esophagus and the longer I keep it, the more scar tissues I'm creating (I'm assuming). Before coming to this forum, and based on my conversation with my surgeon, I figured it was the safest option, and standard practice, to have revision and leave the band in place. But now that I'm reading the topics here and can't find a single person here who had a revision without removing the band, I'm questioning what's going.

I know my surgeon is one of the best in the city... so she knows what she is talking about, but I'm scared that at some point this lap band will have to come out of my body and I'm losing my chance to get it out with the revision.

Anyone out here who kept the band and proceeded to do a revision to gastric bypass?

Thank you.

Zee Starrlite
on 11/17/14 2:06 am

Oh no, hell no.  Get that stupid band out!!!  Who is this doc at Columbia !  You have a dilated esphogas - why the heck would they keep a high pressured band around it.  Please say NO and go to another surgeon (we have lots of options in NYC - I love Mitchell Roslin, M.D. at Lenox Hill).  Ridiculous really!  If there are such concerns for leaks, why wouldn't she remove your band first let your insides heal then do the RNY.

If there is a monster in the room - why wait until it is dark to deal with him - yep that band will have to come out one day!!!  Unless you are fond of complications and misery - waiting for the other shoe to drop do exactly as she says.  Imagine the band erodes into your pouch - I pity the thought.  Your body has rejected this object.  Please be wise and say no more, goodbye.

All best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Hislady
on 11/17/14 5:42 am - Vancouver, WA

Oh good grief that is the most insane thing I have ever heard!!! Listen to Layla she knows what she is talking about!! I agree run don't walk away from this surgeon. Sounds like either she is not a true revision surgeon and hence doesn't know how to do a revision correctly or she is into experimenting in techniques and you surely don't need either one of those things. Just get the band out NOW it will only cause more damage. My band was empty for 2 years and the scar tissue continues to build up even empty. I finally had mine removed at my own expense because I was in so much pain on a daily basis I couldn't deal with it anymore.

You are blessed to live where there are many many excellent revision surgeons, please get rid of this one and get another better qualified one or at the very least get a second opinion on it. There is no reason whatsoever to leave a band in! I'm on several failed band boards and I have NEVER heard of anyone leaving the band in. I would hate to see you continue to suffer because this doctor is incompetent or using you as a guinea pig! I wish you well but please delay the surgery until you can get a second opinion!

airbender
on 11/17/14 6:41 am
On November 16, 2014 at 5:33 PM Pacific Time, misswinter wrote:

Hello,

I was banded in 2010 and only lost about 50 lbs.  I began my journey 200 lbs overweight, which means that I still have over 100 lbs to lose. I wish my surgeon back then had told me that the band was not the right type of WLS for me, but I had my operation at NYU and the lapband is their gold cow (they make lots and lots of money just on band operations).

I'm now looking to have a revision at Columbia University Medical Center (where I work) and I initially asked for a sleeve revision. MY surgeon told me that she would not recommend the sleeve for me and explained that although my band is still positioned correctly, my esophagus is enlarged (or en-longed?) and there is likely scar tissue; she mentioned that my risks of leaking are about 20% with the sleeve, as opposed to 2% to 5% for people who go for the sleeve without revision. She then explained to me that the gastric bypass is the best option and that she can leave the band in and work around it. She says that they will take all the liquids out and it will be like I don't have a band, but I won't suffer the consequences and potential risks that people *****move the band and do revisions suffer. She also mentioned that if in a few years my pouch becomes enlarged and I'm gaining weight, I can start using my band again.

I'm really conflicted because I do want this damn (excuse my language) thing out!!! It has morphed the shape of my esophagus and the longer I keep it, the more scar tissues I'm creating (I'm assuming). Before coming to this forum, and based on my conversation with my surgeon, I figured it was the safest option, and standard practice, to have revision and leave the band in place. But now that I'm reading the topics here and can't find a single person here who had a revision without removing the band, I'm questioning what's going.

I know my surgeon is one of the best in the city... so she knows what she is talking about, but I'm scared that at some point this lap band will have to come out of my body and I'm losing my chance to get it out with the revision.

Anyone out here who kept the band and proceeded to do a revision to gastric bypass?

Thank you.

Ok tough love here, good you questioned this, this is a surgeon you should definetly not go to for many reasons, sadly if this is one of the best surgeons in the city you need to find a different city sorry your surgeon doesnt have a clue what she is talking about and only wants the easy way out with the ultimate cost to you, also, LISTEN to this warning the response your dr gave is clearly a dr who is new with band to conversion patients or is incompetent in revision surgery either way you willl pay in the end.   and the band is but a temporary implant for a permanent disease and you will be reoperated on it for complications due to the band, you may even eventually have permanent, irreversable lap band damage like me, I dont want anyone else to have this.   You need to find a new dr. you owe it to yourself or you will be revision or conversion #3 in 2 years from now.  I am not going to tell you what surgery to get, but RNY is the easy way out for a surgeon, they can chop up your stomach and not worry about the g junction where the leaks would occur for a lap banded patient, but in the hands of a revision surgeon they are minimal to get a vsg and she wants to leave it in so YOU CANT have damage??  I am concerned for your well being, please take the time to head my warning, leaving the lap band in will only hurt you, having a surgeon tell you to leave it in would be a big RED flag for me and I would run for the nearest EXIT door and never come back.   I hope you find the answers you are looking for

igabriel323
on 12/13/14 10:21 am
with

Hello,

Remove the band. I had the same exact situation. I had the band in 2007 it slipped.   I had revision band in 2012 at nyu.  After a year I had esphagus dysmotility along with gastroparisis it is a terrible feeling. Went to see a GI doctor and he did an extensive exams.  Because of the lap band when it was tight my stomach nerves got damaged so bad that my stomach was not pumping..basically I was not digesting my food properly.  Food was just sitting in my stomach.   His recommendation was to have a bypass and remove the part of my stomach that was not functioning.   Bottom line I had a partial sleeve and the bypass and they removed the band.  

I also went to cornell and the Doctor wanted to remove the band wait 4 months then do the bypass.   I refused because I didn't want to go through all that surgery being that this was going to be my 3rd revisión surgery. I did have alot of scar tissue. I had the surgery a month ago. It was painful but I think it was the best thing to have the band removed.  The band has too many complications.   The band is the least invasive surgery but down the road I have heard so many people have revisions afterwards. 

With the band I think the optimum weight loss is like 50 pounds. 

igabriel323
on 12/13/14 10:25 am
with

One more thing.  I was also concerned about the leaks... I was concerned about that but the percentage of it leaking is very low. It's like 1%.  You want a 1 shot deal bc of scar tissue.  The more they go back in. More pain...

misswinter
on 2/26/15 9:24 am

Thank you all for the replies (and the tough love too, much needed!)

I did meet with my surgeon again and told her that I wanted the band gone. She asked me why and I told her my reason. She has agreed to remove the band and do the revision (all in one stage if I don't have too much damage). The insurance approved the band removal and bypass revision just today so it's all finally happening (yay!).

My surgery should be in about 4 weeks; I will know for sure after meeting with the surgeon one more time.

I'm looking forward to my new life. :)

Most Active
Recent Topics