New to the forum need revision feedback

AFWife03
on 11/23/14 10:34 am - HI

Hello I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping you will be able to help me with my up coming surgery. I had the lap band put on in March of 2010 and had very little weight loss. I was 207 when it was put on. The most I lost in 3 years was 25 lbs. In May of 2013 I had the band removed and converted to Roux-en-Y. I moved from WA state to HI 3 weeks after this surgery, not the easiest thing to do post-op. Since the conversion I have had nothing but huge problems. In the last 18 months I have been hospitalized 14 times not including the removal of my gall bladder while traveling in NY in August. I have mal nutrition, I have been on and currently on TPN 24 hours a day for 8 months of the last 18. I have had 5 EGD's 3 upper gi's. I have had and currently have ulcers. So far I have been diagnosed with 4 ulcers.

My current surgeon is very good. He didn't do either of the surgery's I sort of fell into his care in October 2013. The doctor who did the bypass is in WA.

Do to all my problems with the roux-en-y they are going to "undo" my surgery and put everything back the way it was before I had the surgery. I am hoping there is someone who has gone through this surgery and can tell me the good. the bad, and the ugly of it. They are talking about doing the surgery right before Christmas.  Any help or information is greatly appreciated. If I can help anyone please feel free to ask me anything. 

AfWife

airbender
on 11/23/14 6:58 pm

first I hope your suffering ends soon with the reversal.  with all your complications reversal to fix the current issues seems prudent.  That is not an easy reversal.  I am sure you have a great surgeon.  I personally have not been through this but know many thta have mostly rny to ds, which as you know there are only a handful of surgeons in the USA that can perform that.  what a christmas present, hopefully you will feel "normal" again.  wishing you a great reversal, be well

AFWife03
on 11/23/14 10:21 pm - HI

Thank you Airbender. I hate to have yet another surgery. Especially this one. I'm not looking forward to an open procedure. But at this point I can't keep living this way. I have no quality of life. The roux en y worked too well for me. I went from 217 to 102 in 10 months. It's been a fight ever since to get weight back on, but the ulcers are preventing it. Not going to lie I'm scared s***less . I hope I can meet someone who has had it done. Thanks for your words.

AfWife

airbender
on 11/24/14 6:29 am

AFWife03, I understand and hopefully you will be feeling better real soon.  I would like to make one suggestion, to call a very skilled revision surgeon, Ara Keshishian MD at 800-816-6647, he will talk to you and he responds very quickly he is an "old fashioned" type of doctor who listened to patinets-I know imagine, and with that skill he has, he really is amazing.   he takes the most difficult revision patients, that no one will take, he is incredibly skilled and has a kind heart, you will find only positive commens for him, my first consult with him was 5 years ago.  He is one of only a handful of surgeons, maybe 4 in the USA that does very complex revisions (including RNY to DS, so a reversal is simplier) 

I know you just want to feel normal again, not be in pain, I understand that very well,  you have lost your sense of normalcy, and your life feels like its centered around your pain, etc, do what you can and is best for you at this time, let us know how you are doing.

AFWife03
on 11/28/14 6:19 pm - HI

Seen the surgeon on Tuesday, my surgery is scheduled for the 15th of December. I will try to post as things progress.  

AfWife

airbender
on 11/28/14 7:28 pm

great news, hopefully you will some great news very soon, christmas present couldnt be better

Most Active
Recent Topics