New on this forum .. have insurance approval for revision from sleeve to RNY.. ??

cindymissouri
on 11/24/14 5:23 pm
RNY on 01/06/15

I have wanted to do this for years because i never lost but half my weight and yes i have kept 90 percent of it off since 2008 but i have been STUCK completely... my doc says he thinks i will never lose without malabsorption..  i did see a 2nd doc at a support meeting and he said this revision has a 13 percent leak rate.. WHAT???  thats crazy..   So now I've been nervous/ scared about that ..  anyone know what a realistic number is..  Thanks

Lost 34 lbs before surgery

hollykim
on 11/25/14 1:08 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 25, 2014 at 1:23 AM Pacific Time, Ms Cindy wrote:

I have wanted to do this for years because i never lost but half my weight and yes i have kept 90 percent of it off since 2008 but i have been STUCK completely... my doc says he thinks i will never lose without malabsorption..  i did see a 2nd doc at a support meeting and he said this revision has a 13 percent leak rate.. WHAT???  thats crazy..   So now I've been nervous/ scared about that ..  anyone know what a realistic number is..  Thanks

any revision surgery is going to have more of a leak rate than a virgin surgery would. I can't speak to that but I have to wonder,if you need the malabsorption,why you don't get the switch of the DS,since you already have the sleeve? The sleeve stomach is the first part of the DS.

cindymissouri
on 11/25/14 2:43 am
RNY on 01/06/15

They don't do the DS here... its really odd...  They convert everyone to RNY

hollykim
on 11/25/14 2:58 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

are you in Canada?

MsBatt
on 11/25/14 5:34 am

Then travel to get a real DS surgeon. Trust me, in the long run the Sleeve and the RNY have about the same maintained weight-loss stats. If you convert your present Sleeve to an RNY, you will NOT be able to revise to a DS later on if/when you don't lose enough with the RNY.

airbender
on 11/25/14 10:15 am

not sure who your dr is but you are aware that rny is a restrictive procedure correct?  after about 18 months the malabsorption will be gone.  So revising from sleeve to rny 13% leak rate is not typical, in the hands of a revision surgeon revisions or conversions have almost the same complication leak rate,  and the leaks for rny are not the same as the leaks seen in vsg, yes vsg leaks at the g-junction are the more dangerous of the two.  Most drs will revise to rny but not vsg, but you have a vsg, you have 1/2 of the best durable permanent malabsorption surgery, DS  that will not go away after 18 months. Spend some time reading the post of rny to ds revisions.   I dont think there is one surgery type for all, but vsg to rny, be careful and explore all options.  I did fly to have my DS, do what is best for you, but dont have a surgery type because your surgeon doesnt offer it or the DS is outside of your network.   good luck with your surgery to get healthy

cindymissouri
on 11/25/14 1:01 pm
RNY on 01/06/15

why only 18 months, i have never heard that..  and i don't have the option, my insurance will not pay anywhere else

ShebasMom
on 11/26/14 12:09 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

The rny bypasses between 75 to 150 cm of bowel, which is closer to stomach and DS is closer to large intestine, about 75-200 cm. The common channel (point in bowel where the stomach contents and gastric contents meet) on the rny has the ability to regrow the villi that absorbs food, which happens over an 18-24 month period. Because of the longer distance to the large intestine, most calories will be absorbed. With the DS, the common channel is shorter, some of the villi grow back but all the calories won't be absorbed due to the shorter distance before emptying into the large intestine. (Carbohydrate absorption begins in the mouth/stomach).

I hope you will be able to find a DS surgeon that your insurance will pay for.

bublegirl1
on 11/27/14 4:05 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

In the case you do go to RNY, try not to worry too much. I just revised from sleeve to RNY. Used the same suegeon for both. He did say it's a more complicated surgery but didn't give leak stats. If you have a good surgeon who has done this a lot, you will be fine. True the malabsorption diminishes over time with RNY but it can help you get to goal. You have maintained your loss for a long time. You should believe in yourself that Once you get to goal you will work to stay there. Good luck with whatever you choose. You have support here either way. Go after what you feel is best for you. 

-Amie

cindymissouri
on 11/30/14 8:04 am
RNY on 01/06/15

Amie,

I tried to add you as a friend but cant.. i would like to talk to you..  Are you losing well?  Did you have any problems.. can you message me a way i can talk to you, i know this has to be a lot different than the sleeve for you

Most Active
Recent Topics