Conversion from RNY to DS?

tiny1
on 12/22/14 12:28 am - Clarksville, TN

Wanted to know if for the conversion from RNY to DS if your insurance is covering the surgery? How much out of pocket expenses did you incur? Any and all information would be appreciated.

Kathy S.
on 12/22/14 2:40 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi 

Everyone's insurance is different.  Your best bet, give your insurance a call (and or speak to your HR person), find out if revisions are covered, if so how much you would have to pay and if there are any pre-qualifications you have to meet.

We did a search on RNY - DS for you and here are some other posts for you to read.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/search/action,search_oh/?q=rny+to +ds&cx=000946886326336472648%3Ae-vpeg4uyxw&cof=FORID%3A9

Keep us posted on what you find out

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

tiny1
on 12/23/14 11:33 am - Clarksville, TN

Thanks Kathy, I will read these posts.

Whit
on 12/28/14 11:13 am
Revision on 12/10/12

Hi I revised from RNY to DS 12/14 so 2 years ago. I looked at my insurance Doc's to see if Bariatric Surgery had any stipulations or restrictions. I did not call them. I did not want to alert them I was having an issues. I next made an appointment with my revision surgeon Dr. Keshishian to determine if I was a candidate. I was. It was determined medically necessary- failed original procedure. His office submitted for necessary approvals. I did nothing. It was covered. I paid a program fee to Dr. K and my insurance required OOP max. 

Good luck.

Whit

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Andie
on 12/28/14 1:12 pm - FRANKFORT, OH

Whit, do you mind telling us what your experience has been with this revision...I am considering it and with the same Dr that you had, one drawback for me is the travel, but he is supposed to be the best...thanks

NJTransplant15
on 1/13/15 3:55 am - Speedway, IN

so congrats on your revision! how are you doing? I am looking into it after my RNY-- I had that in 2001 and lost 150 pounds-- then had  my thyroid removed from a pre-cancerous situation-- and gained about 100 pounds back in 2 years-- I was devastated by trying to lose again.  I became a vegetarian last year and quickly lost 35 pounds.  Starting to juice this week to see if i can lose more.  Also have an appointment next week to see about the revision.  What kind did you have?

MsBatt
on 1/14/15 2:03 am

If you want to stay vegetarian, I DO NOT advise you to get your failed RNY revised to a DS. DSers need a LOT of protein, and it's very, very difficult to get it unless you eat animal-based foods. Also, juicing is NOT recommended for RNYers---basically, you're throwing away the fiber and drinking the SUGAR that all fruits and veggies contain.

NJTransplant15
on 1/14/15 8:37 am - Speedway, IN

I just started making smoothies--so nothing is thrown away--its all in the drink. The drink itself is 50% greens 25% fruit 20% nuts, 5% seeds.I can add protein to the drink too. Also, I eat cheeses, hb eggs, some fish. No beef, pork, chicken. I probably get more protein then the avg. person. I'd like to know how you are doing with your DS.

SharonG
on 2/3/15 7:24 am - Arlington, VA

I have a DS friend who has been a vegetarian and is now 14 years post op.  She commits to a protein shake every day and does eat dairy products.  She is healthy and doing well.  It can be done.

I am not vegetarian, and am very happy with my DS.  I will be 12 years post op on 3/6/15 - hard to believe.  I am about 15 lbs above my lowest weight.  I do have to work at it more now, but the DS was a lifesaver for me.

Whit
on 12/29/14 9:15 am
Revision on 12/10/12

Hi Andy,

I traveled from Northern California about 5 hours away.  Some of "my story" is located on my profile page.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/Whit

I feel strongly this is the only revision for those of us with failed RNY WLS. To date nothing has proven successful long term. I am happy to answer any specific questions you have. 

Best,

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Most Active
Recent Topics