Was set on VSG, but now wondering if RNY would be better for me.

losing_the_band
on 1/15/15 3:10 am
Revision on 08/27/15

I'm meeting with the surgeon next week to hopefully start the revision process.  I was going into it just interested in VSG, but I've been having second thoughts recently.  Now I'm wondering if RNY would be a better fit.  I like the idea of the malabsorbtion, since having the band has really messed with my metabolism.  Plus, I'm gun shy because of the band.  RNY has been around a lot longer and has more established results.  VSG has the sort of following that I remember the band having when I first got it.  You know, "the band will have better long term results than RNY," "slow and steady wins the race," etc.  We all know how that's turning out.  I'm scared about jumping into VSG and then finding out that it was the same type of pipe dream as the band.  

Lap-Band 2007

Lap-Band Replaced 2011

APPROVED for revision to RNY! Awaiting surgery date!

Ashley in Belgium
on 1/15/15 4:02 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I can only say that I relate to everything you've said - had the same misgivings about going with todays version of the "popular" WLS.  I know plenty of people who have had VSG both as a first time and revision surgery and they have been very happy with their choice,  It's personal and you shoulld let your surgeon guide you before deciding in your head what you think is best IMO.  

I am thrilled with my RNY and have never once regretted my revision, only perhaps waiting as long as I did to have it!  It is night and day diffeent from the Band and I personally felt I needed more than just a purely restricitve procedure. My surgeon agreed 100%.  Been there done that and it didn't work for me obviously.  Good luck with which ever you choose - it's all better once the Band is out!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

losing_the_band
on 1/15/15 4:33 am
Revision on 08/27/15

The band worked for me the first time around, until it didn't anymore.  I lost 100% of my excess weight, but I got there by being extremely restricted.  My first surgeon just prescribed acid reducers when I complained about severe acid reflux.  I started gaining weight. The acid got so bad that I just couldn't take it anymore and got an emergency complete unfill.  My surgeon didn't bother looking to see what was causing the problems, and I didn't pu**** because the acid was mostly resolved with the unfill.  

A couple years pass, I move across the country and eventually start looking into getting a revision because I've gained 50 pounds and have zero restriction.  The new surgeon did a flouroscopy of my stomach and apparently, I'd had a severe slip (probably back when I was having a ton of reflux).  He said the opening between the upper and lower pouches was about the size of a pencil.  My insurance wouldn't cover a revision to another type of surgery, but because I'd had a complication, it would cover either a replacement or total removal.  I was scared to live without it, so I opted for replacement.  Unfortunately, I've never been able to get to a good restriction.  So, here I am today.  My new insurance covers revisions, so I'm hoping that it will be fairly easy to get a revision approved.  

Lap-Band 2007

Lap-Band Replaced 2011

APPROVED for revision to RNY! Awaiting surgery date!

MsBatt
on 1/15/15 5:16 am

With severe acid reflux, I'd say the RNY might well be a better choice for you. It is the go-to surgery for treating acid reflux. The Sleeve, especially tiny little Sleeves, often causes reflux. The Band is notorious for causing reflux, so it's entirely possible removing it will cure the reflux.

However, if you like the idea of having a fully-functional stomach, you might also want to look into getting a Duodenal Switch. The DS has the same sort of stomach as the Sleeve, but it also has a strong malabsorptive component---moreso than the RNY, in fact. With the RNY, you'll only malabsorb calories for about 18-24 months, but vitamins and minerals forever. With the DS, you'd also malabsorb vitamins and minerals forever, but you'd also malabsorb calories forever, too.

Now, here's the reason I say you might want to consider the DS if you're afraid the Sleeve will mean you still have reflux. Sleeves are make really small, because the only string in their bow is restriction---no malabsorption. The DS has loads of malabsorption, so a tiny little Sleeve is neither necessary or especially desired, especially for someone with your BMI. I'd talk to a well-established DS revision surgeon about the possibility of getting a DS with a larger Sleeve.

Oh, BTW---pre-op, I had such horrid reflux that most nights I slept sitting up. Since my DS 11 years ago, ZERO REFLUX.

Kiwigal
on 3/18/15 3:05 pm
Revision on 05/02/16
I had a sleeve and wish i had of gone RNY. I didnt as believed keeping my stomach was the best thing. At the time it seemed that way but now with regain i regret not going the full hog. My surgeon is anti DS so i am lining things up for DNY . Let us know what you did and how it is going.

Most Active
Recent Topics