Stoma wide open

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 1/27/15 1:09 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12

I had Band to Rny revision 4/4/12 and lost to lower than goal to 162 stayed there till about the same time I started taking a new med and honeymoon being over , gained 35 lbs in 6 weeks , worked off the meds for 3 more weeks , was starving ALL the time . Went on a strict low carb ( 20 grms a day) for over 4-5 months and managed to only gain 5-7 lbs.

Had an endoscopy yesterday and I have a sliding hernia and pictures of my stoma WIDE OPEN my gastro guy said my surgery would do nothing with that issue.

My surgeon who I adore , does not do any fixes for the stoma ( down the throat kind) he says they don't last , I will be seeing him in 2 weeks , he previously said I still had too many small intestines , which I do and can clearly see on the films from an upper GI , he bypassed 100 cm's and wants to bypass another 50 , but if he won't/can't fix my stoma I will be forced to go to self pay and have my stoma fixed ....this should be interesting.

Any thoughts? I can't do DS so that is out :(

Thanks Donna Q

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

ShebasMom
on 1/27/15 1:57 am, edited 1/27/15 2:00 am
Revision on 07/05/16

He should be able to surgically repair it, although it may make your pouch smaller. Has he told he couldn't do that? If so, you may want to seek another surgeon who can. The 50 cm bypass would only be temporary malabsorption. Not sure how much of our bypassed intestine grows new villi, as this should factor in how much you would want bypassed with your 2nd surgery. (My original rny bypassed 150 cm due to my 50 BMI).

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 1/27/15 3:18 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12

He always becomes a pessimist when he knows he has to do something :) I WON'T do it if he only bypasses more intestines I am sure if insurance will cover it ( pretty sure they will now) he will make sure he does the stoma !! I KNOW he will . I thought I was bypassed 150 but he now says 100 and wants to do another 50 , but I think he should determine how much small intestines I actually have and go by that . I will see him in a couple of weeks and by then he will have the report and send request to insurance , who have 5 days to make a decision ....so time will tell

Band 2005
Bypass 4/4/2012

Zee Starrlite
on 1/27/15 10:53 am

Geez Donna!  I am so sorry that you are having to go through more issues with WLS.  I don't know what the solution is for you but I am curious why the DS was never an option for you.  It seems now that you will be getting a distal bypass anyway??? Is staying as you are an option?

All best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 1/27/15 11:11 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12

DS wasn't an option when I converted from the band mostly was because I didn't think I needed that and my doc didn't do it and my insurance wouldn't cover it.

YES new , if approved by insurance I will be distal but the issue if my stoma HAS TO BE FIXED.

I have been married for 42 years and I can't tell you how many of those years and MONEY has been spent obsessing about my weight !! it sure makes me shake my head , even journals of prayers from late 70's has my daily weight at the top, what a waste of a life ...geeze. I am sort of o.k. weighing 180 to 200 IF I COULD STAY THERE , but it is obvious that I can't even eating 1,000 to 1200 cals a day .

With the new info and pictures I feel less a failure as it is obvious that the RNY has failed , I AM thankful for my doc and insurance but my doc is limited ( not doing DS) he is skilled and cares about me and my family and 2 of my daughter's go to him also...BUT if he can't fix my stoma I will do thing , with him any way .

Staying as I am IS an option , but it would be a hard pill to swallow , part of the problem is I am gaining even though I am strict food wise , and who can do that forever ? 

Band 2005
Bypass 4/4/2012

Zee Starrlite
on 1/27/15 11:34 am

I will shoot my surgeon an email tomorrow just to see what options he thinks there may be for your issues besides the DS.

Don't feel down on the weight thing - it is a lifetime of managing for most of us.

Hey, and I bet you couldn't possibly look heavy at your height . . . I know you are worried about gaining though.  So tough😭  I mean low calories and carbs under 20. Cut yourself a break!!! Most people would have gotten thin with 4 months of that.

Like you, I wouldn't go for just more bypassing.

(((HUGS)))

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Ruby_Trout
on 2/17/15 1:44 pm - Canada

Your story is interesting to me. I had surgery in May 2010 and I'd say it was quite successful. However, since 2012, my weight has risen steadily regardless of caloric intake. I was a hardcore 80-100 miles/week runner up until a year ago when pain stopped me from running. I continued to walk, swim and do heavy labor (hand moving irrigation pipe, moving lumber, doing farm work****il July 2014. Inspite of labour intense days, I had to be less than 600 cal per day to lose. That's not right. 

To top it off, my surgeon is a bit of a jerk. He's good, he's smart, but no bedside manner whatsoever. Having said these things, I desperately need to see him and a food psychologist/therapist. These are hard to come by, however.  In fact, I can't find one in BC who looks at patients in the weight loss industry. The only two I've found are working strictly with anorexic and bulimic patients. I'm at a loss here. 

Im really thinking I might have to go out of country for support and service. *sigh*

Most Active
Recent Topics