Hello

justjudy
on 1/24/15 5:24 am, edited 1/24/15 8:38 am - Canton, MI

I want to reintroduce myself.  Banded in May 2007 with 90 pound weight loss complicated by severe gastritis and reflux  resulting in Barrett's esophagus.   I underwent band removal and revision to RNY on January 20th.  I seem to be recovering remarkably well thus far and wanted to say hello. 

Judy

Hislady
on 1/24/15 7:17 am - Vancouver, WA

Hi Judy I know you from another site don't I? Glad you are recovering smoothly and wish all of us from before 2008 had the information then that we have now. Altho even when we tell newbies they refuse to listen. I wish you much success.

justjudy
on 1/24/15 9:10 am - Canton, MI

Thanks Hislady. I wish when my problems developed my surgeon had listened instead of insisting we just had to keep adjusting.   But I did not want to believe that the band was not working and causing damage.   I still don't want to "band bash" but I would advise anyone to read the data and ask hard questions before committing to a band, and would redo my past decision if I could. 

Judy

Joanna B
on 1/26/15 7:33 am - MI
VSG on 03/12/15

Hi Judy,

My fellow Michigander!!!

I was also banded May 2007 and am seeing my surgeon tomorrow to discuss a revision and hopefully set a date. I also lost 70 pounds with the band and really loved it until I started having reflux. They unfilled my band and I gained all the weight back and then some...

What makes me nervous is my surgeon is pushing the sleeve. (I have been in to see him many times over the last year with reflux issues). I heard that the sleeve can make reflux worse. I will discuss this with him tomorrow. We will see what happens! 

Welcome to the board. I have not been on here in years and its good to be back!

justjudy
on 1/26/15 9:24 am - Canton, MI

I stayed off the boards on OH because I didn't want to engage in the "band wars" that got so rough. I wanted to believe that I could make my band work but....here I am nearly a week after band removal and revision to RNY.  Because I now have precancerous esophageal cells which will need laser ablation my surgeon would not do a sleeve.   I am just glad to have hope again. 

Judy

yankeebabe63
on 1/26/15 11:09 am, edited 1/26/15 11:10 am - rome, NY

You've found a procedure that had started you on your way. Be strong. For you. I felt selfish because I went headlong into An open rny in 11/02...merely months after I had been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Great! No, not great. Had to have slight revision 9/2013. Gone from highest 345lbs too current 138. All I hear is how I'm too skinny. Wtf. I'll let you know when I feel that way! Anyone help me find a surgeon..if you have a truly great experience and reputable one that will do a great job removing all off this skin on my belly.Have great insurance but eventually will need too self catheterize due to ms (hot hot hot lmao)...albany areas preferred.also hope for a pit bull personality to fight these insurance companies. Never wanted to be Miss universe...just to have access to my urinary tract in a clean bacteria free environment. [email protected] original surgeon Dr Carl Rosati, revision by Dr Singh..Thank you! Good night

justjudy
on 1/29/15 4:36 am - Canton, MI

Joanna I wanted a sleeve but mine would not do it for exactly that reason.   So far recovery from the removal and revision to RAY has been amazingly uncomplicated.   I feel so fortunate. 

Judy

Hislady
on 1/26/15 9:13 am - Vancouver, WA

It somewhat depends on what is causing the reflux, if it is perhaps a hernia and you don't have any other history of reflux then you might be ok with the sleeve but if you can't tell then you would be better off with RNY. In fact that is about the only one that is good with reflux.

KattattaK
on 1/26/15 9:43 am

Hi, Judy! I had band surgery in '05 and will be having it removed this spring. Really hoping everything looks good when they go inside to remove it. I haven't decided on whether I will be having a revision or not since I have serious anxiety regarding wls at this time. This site is helping me in many ways. The stories and experiences of other members are helping me face my fears. Who knows? Maybe one day I'll find the courage to give wls another go. Congratulations on your revision and speedy recovery! 

-Kat

justjudy
on 1/29/15 4:31 am - Canton, MI

Thanks Kat.  So far it's been smooth sailing. I can't believe how little pain I have had. 

Judy

Most Active
Recent Topics