RNY Revision to DS with Dr. Keshishian - INFORMATION Share

Douglas R.
on 2/1/15 5:11 am, edited 2/1/15 5:13 am

My name is Doug and I live in Southern California.  I am a 50 year old male.   Previous high weight was 420.  I lost to 239 with the help of my RNY in 2003.  I am now at 302 pounds.  The weight gain has made it hard to go to work and travel with my job.  I have widespread joint pain and back pain.  My knees are also starting to go and it is hard to exercise.  Also, I am hungry all the time and I learned that this is because the remnant stomach is producing a LOT of Ghrellen hormone because the remnant stomach is signaled that the stomach is empty all the time.  No wonder!  This is the problem with RNY - after the first couple of years you will feel hungry all the time.  The DS REVISION will remove the majority of the hormone producing part of the stomach and you will not have the overwhelming hunger sensations.

I had my first consult with Dr. Keshishian in Glendale this past week.  He wore his widely talked about bow-tie and gave a group seminar to about 4 of us in his office.  This was an up close and personal 2 hours spent in getting to know the doctor.  We then had a private meeting and exam to discuss the specifics of our needs.  He was very nice and compassionate and personable.  I have little doubt in his ability to do a great job with the operation and also to give needed comfort and support.  I learned that the REVISION procedure from RBY will be done open vs, laparoscopic.  It will require a 4 to 6 in*****ision, minimum 3 days in the Hospital and WILL require a feeding tube be placed in the abdomen for 3 to 6 weeks post op.  In addition, 2 drains will be placed in abdomen.  Dr. Keshishian has done about 400 to 500 revisions from RNY to DS.  He had lost 6 patients out of 2000 operations over the years.  These were for post operative complications including blood clots and other serious complications.  The higher the BMI you have, the riskier the surgery in general is.

I am going for the required pre-op testing and submission to my insurance for pre-approval.  I have UMR/UHC Options PPO.  Although they have a once in a lifetime surgery provision for Bariatric surgery, this means one surgery under the current group policy I have through this employer.  So, my previous RNY that I got 12 years ago with a different insurance does not count.  That was a relief.

I was wondering if we can get more information from people who have had the REVISION from RNY and talk about your experience.  Also if anyone has more questions, please ask me and I will try to help.  We are in this together if you are on this site.....

airbender
on 2/2/15 7:47 am

Doug suggest posting on the DS forum, hopefully someone will chime in, also while you are searching try these:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/Revision/5280978/Conversio n-from-RNY-to-DS/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/5282366/Baby-Step s-RNY-to-DS-Revision-Questions/

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Heylove
on 2/12/15 2:48 am

Hi Doug, I just spoke with Keshishian's office, as well.  By far one of the most helpful offices I've spoken to in the last six months since I've decided to move forward with revision.

Your situation sounds a LOT like mine.  RNY in 2003, I went from 263 to 135 in 10 months, keeping most of it off for 10 years.  The last two years, I've regained almost all of it back.  As a student nurse, and ALWAYS on my feet makes my pain unbearable and I fear that I will have to give up my career if I don't rid myself of this weight so I can move painfree!

If this doctor doesn't work out, I'm going to Mexico for my revision.  I've been trying to get this done for six months, and meanwhile, I'm getting fatter, more depressed, and more unable to move and live a decent life.

So where are you in the process with his office, now?

Douglas R.
on 2/12/15 3:53 am

Hi:

Thanks for your note.  I am one who fully understands your situation and where you are at.  It is a real struggle, I know.  I had an upper endoscopy with Dr. K this week to look at my pouch.  It was uncomfortable because they were not able to get me sedated - the medication didn't work, so I was awake during the procedure. Anyway, Dr. K said that the staple line going from the pouch to my stomach gave way and food was going through the pouch into the stomach and down the bypass route.  Thankkfully, its not leaking into my system.  Therefore, I can never feel full and the RNY is fully failed.  I have an upper GI next week and we have just submitted to my insurance for pre-approval.  I most likely will plan this for early April and move forward.  Please feel free to keep in touch.  We all need support and encouragement.  

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 2/12/15 1:13 pm

Heylove -

DO NOT get this revision in MX!!!! Doug is going to one of the very few surgeons that can do the complicated procedure of taking down the RNY, and then completing the DS. There are surgeons in MX that lure patients saying they do the DS, or can revise to it, and I've yet to hear of even one success, and have heard some real horror stories. Ungson in MX does the DS and is good, but that's it. Do NOT pick a MX surgeon for this particular revision. There is a group that are particularly sketchy, but I think they are paid advertisers here, so when I name them the post gets pulled. Please research carefully.

Heylove
on 2/13/15 1:23 am

Ungson was the one I have contacted in Mexico.  Things seem to be going smoothly with Dr. K, and my consultation with him is on March 10th.  Ungson will only be backup if Dr. K doesn't work out. 

mikah1987
on 2/20/15 10:09 pm

Hi Doug, I am revising to a ds from a VGS. I will be contacting them soon. I am getting my records gathered. I look forward to watching your progress.

Most Active
Recent Topics