Are there requirements for revision?

Kathy Randall
on 2/20/15 12:55 pm - N. Chelmsford, MA

I had bypass over 10yrs ago. I lost 230 and felt awesome. Sadly my son passed away and I put half that back on due to depression and grief. I jave no problems with my stomach, I'm just in need of the help surgery gave me before. My back, legs and feet are in daily unbearable pain. Is that enough for revision? Thanks for any help, Kathy

hollykim
on 2/21/15 2:17 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 20, 2015 at 8:55 PM Pacific Time, Kathy Randall wrote:

I had bypass over 10yrs ago. I lost 230 and felt awesome. Sadly my son passed away and I put half that back on due to depression and grief. I jave no problems with my stomach, I'm just in need of the help surgery gave me before. My back, legs and feet are in daily unbearable pain. Is that enough for revision? Thanks for any help, Kathy

yes there are requirements for revision if insurance will be paying and no,I don't think back/leg pain is a criteria. 

Why do you think you need a revision? Have you had any scopes etc to show your pouch is damaged in some way?

if not I would get those first. Most surgeons are going to require it anyway. 

If your pouch is not damaged ,you need to get back to basics,no drinking when eating,lots of protein,good fats and very low carbs. 

There is no magic revision. 

MsBatt
on 2/21/15 2:33 am

You'll need to contact your insurance company and find out what YOUR policy covers, and what they require. HOWEVER---if, as you write, "I jave no problems with my stomach," then it's highly unlikely they will cover a revision. Revisions are done to fix mechanical problems, not diet-related problems. Do your journal your food? If not, now would be a good time to start, and be certain to write down every single bite that goes into your mouth. Odds are good that you'll find you're eating too much of the wrong things.

Kathy Randall
on 2/21/15 4:35 am - N. Chelmsford, MA

I have had 2 small bowel resection surgeries. I do have stomach and digestion problems. My GI dr did an endoscopy and couldn't find a problem although I have pain. Guess I'll have to check.

JoyfulOverload
on 2/22/15 1:19 am

Check with your insurance. Mine requires 3 months of physician surervised for weight loss. Weigh****chers, Jenny, and similar ones are not approved. Medical reasons need to be discussed with your surgeon. Has to do with bmi and co-morbidities. (my insurance approved me in 6 weeks for revision). A shock to me but then I lost my surgeon. Another story.

Good luck.

Karen1224
on 4/11/16 12:25 am

I completely empathize with you, I also went through this surgery in 1997,,then was set on fire 89%2nd and 3rd degree burns from the father of my 3 sons 1,2 and 4 at the time. The 4 yr old witnessed this. Not till the passing of my oldest son in 1908 did I start gaining my weight back which I had kept off for almost 2 decades, he was 15 yrs old at that time and  his dad had just  got out of jail and moved down the street from us.He then started harassing/ tormenting us for a couple of yrs. and my weight climbed up again, which it had not since the beginning of our relationship before my pregnancies. Weight gain has SO MUCH MORE to do with food for most of us. Most people do not understand!! I never reached more than 330 except but only through depression and the most trying times in my life!!??? I would  actually loose weight throughout my pregnancies ???? People judge when it comes to weight,we need help!! for our health, mental state and physical well being!! If anyone knows of a doctor in Edmonton, Alberta that will do this surgery again for me please post!! THANKS You!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics