Tubing left in after band to sleeve revision?

amyc
on 2/25/15 9:52 pm - Jacksboro, TN
Revision on 02/28/12

I revised from lap band to the sleeve two years ago.   I also had breast implants and an extended tummy tuck.  I recently had an mri on my back and saw what appeared to be some type of tubing in the area between my rib cage.  My physical therapist was the one showing me the mri, and he know clue what the tube was.  A few weeks later I had an epidural in a bulging disc.  I was awake during the procedure and the Dr. was questioning me about what stomach surgeries I had previously.   He said the tube was in my stomach area and was very pliable.  At this point I have no idea if it was left over from the revision surgery, or if its something from the breast implants.   I'm waiting on a referral from my PCP  to see my weight loss surgeon.   

Any one have any clue?   Did I miss that there would be tubing left after the revision?

Thanks,

Amy

Hislady
on 2/26/15 9:05 am - Vancouver, WA

It shouldn't have been left in, if it was I'd say you have a lawsuit for malpractice. A tube just floating around in your stomach cavity could cause all kinds of damage! There would be no reason for it to be left behind that I know of. You could also call his practice if you can't see him right away and I think I would get a copy of the picture showing the tube.

airbender
on 2/27/15 5:56 am

the implant should be removed entirely, gastric band, tubing, port.  Anything left inside would be a "mistake" as when surgical instruments are left in people.  I would suggest having this looked into asap.  I would suggest not going back to the same surgeon.  Breast implants have no tubing, unless again it is something left behind from that surgery, sponges, clips, instruments, expanders, etc have all been left in patients after surgery.

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Krystal70
on 5/22/15 11:26 am

We have the same story!!!!!!!!!The same thing just happened to me. I was converted from band to sleeve.  Ended up with an infection that almost killed me a month ago.  I ended up in ICU and a week later was diagnoised with a baterial infection in my body.  Now after two CAT scans and an ultra sound it has been determined a piece of tubing left in me also.  It is about 1 inch long and appears to be the shape of a drain or cather tubing.  My surgeon tried to play it off saying it was not tubing but scar tissue but after three radilogist reading the scans, they say it is tubing.  The surgeon has not called me back and I cannot get any advice from an attorney as to what my rights are.  If I have it removed, will I end up with a medical bill.  Who will pay for me to be off work for a couple weeks after the surgery?  I cannot afford another bill or time missed from work.  

Most Active
Recent Topics