Revision from RNY to a Band over Bypass aka Lap Band...Has anyone had this?

shawn31
on 3/18/15 7:21 am - Charlotte, NC
Lap Band on 03/30/15

I had RNY years ago and only lost 93 pounds and gained back 60 pounds and sleep apena..lol Has anyone had any success with this?? Surgery approaching soon. Thanks for your input

Star0210
on 3/20/15 1:26 am
DS on 11/28/14

IMO...that's going from bad to worse.

So many doctors aren't even doing lapband's anymore because they cause so many problems...irreversible problems at that.

You should really consider the DS for the best chance of losing the weight and keeping it off and resolving any co-morbidities you might have.

ShebasMom
on 3/21/15 12:39 am
Revision on 07/05/16

The band is only intended to be used for up to 10 years. And because of the tightness, the complication is erosion of the stomach. You may need to do a search on this site to find people who've had it done and pm them. (which is what I did for my revision) If your BMI is > 35 with a co-morbity (sleep apnea) and you do not have GERD, you should consider revising to the DS.  There are a few experienced surgeons in the US who can do this because it is a complicated surgery. The closest one to NC is Dr Elariny in Vienna, VA. Your surgeon won't offer that to you, because he doesn't do rny to DS revisions.

I, unfortunately have GERD, so the DS is not for me. I plan to have the distal rny (my pouch still has restriction) after my insurance approves.

Most Active
Recent Topics