RNY done in 2003 considering revision but have questions

Taniesa
on 3/20/15 12:52 pm

So I never knew revision was possible until a few weeks ago. I was 310 lbs when I had surgery back in 2003. I lost roughly 100 lbs but after having a baby and then later going though a divorce... bad habits set in and I am now at 245. Dr. Coates in Modesto CA is who I am being referred to (Had surgery at Stanford before) and they say that he does a distal gastric bypass surgery for RNY revisions. Can someone tell me what this is? 

I am hoping for a second chance. Being older (and wiser) I think that I would have a lot of success but I have no idea what I am in for, going though all this again. Can someone point me in the right direction for answers and support though this process?

Heylove
on 3/21/15 3:49 am

Hi Taniesa, and welcome!

Many of us here have a similar story.  I also had RNY in 2003 (with Dr Coates, as a matter of fact!) - started at 263, and stayed at 150 for about ten years.  Started to gain, and packed on 100 lbs in the last two years.  I started researching revision, and found that duodenal switch (DS) is the best surgery for RNY revisions.  I'm not sure what that surgery is that you referred to. I had my DS 8 days ago with Dr. Keshishian in Glendale/Burbank/Pasadena.  

There is tons of information here.  Keep reading, keep researching, and good luck!

Heylove
on 3/21/15 4:04 am

I fogot to mention to check out http://www.dsfacts.com/index.php

Taniesa
on 3/21/15 4:32 am

Thank you so much :D I am not sure about the revision he does yet either but hopefully I will find out soon.

airbender
on 3/21/15 8:14 am

hi there, Heylove gave you some great infomation, of which I agree with, DS being the best for RNY conversions.  The best thing you can do is be informative about all your options, especially to know the pros and cons of the surgery you are thinking of getting and of course to make sure you research all your possibilities, not just what your surgeon has the skill to offer you, but what can actually be performed.  RNY to DS is a complicated sugery, hence most surgeons will offer RNY to ERNY (distal RNY) as they are not capable in performing the DS, so they tell patients that is their only option.  Dr Keshishian in Glendale CA is one of the best RNY to DS surgeon, if not the best.  You owe it to yourself to at least call for a consult.   Keep reseaching and asking questions and good luck on your road to health 

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Most Active
Recent Topics