Weight loss slower with gastric bypass when its a revision from band?

forabetterlife
on 3/31/15 5:21 am

I am scheduled to have a revision done in May. My surgeon has told me that since I had the band done before the gastric bypass that I will not lose as fast or as much as I would if I had just had the gastric bypass done in the first place. SO my question is for those of you who have had the revision from band to bypass, how much have you lost and how long has it taken you to lose it?

virgonurse
on 3/31/15 5:52 am

I just had my revision last week so I can't comment on weight loss yet.  

I just want to mention my surgeon told me he expects me to do as well and lose as much as any other RNY patient.  I realize anything is possible so I'm going to believe what he says, follow the rules and hope for great results.  Best wishes to you!

suzanneh
on 4/9/15 10:04 am - NY

Hi Virgonurse

I believe that this is the only attitude to have. 

A positive attitude goes a long way. My bariatric surgeon said pretty much the same thing. Please keep me posted on your progress. Did you have your revision done in 1 surgery or 2? Just curious ..PS ( I am a nurse too)  

Hislady
on 3/31/15 8:57 am - Vancouver, WA

That isn't always the cases especially with the band because it doesn't work to begin with! You "might" lose a bit slower but there is no reason that you can't lose as much if you stick with the lifestyle change. Just remember after the first 12 mos. the malabsorbing part starts absorbing calories again so you need to take full advantage of the honeymoon period in the first year and be very strict after that too so you don't regain like so many do. Good luck to you!

suzanneh
on 4/9/15 9:57 am - NY

Hi Hislady

Thank you for sharing your experience and your encouraging words.  I am so grateful for this forum.  I am looking forward to my opportunity for a "second chance" at weight loss. Presently, I have to work on obtaining 6 months of documented doctor supervised weight-loss in order to be eligible for a revision. In the interim I will have my lap-band removed and heal for 3 months as required by my bariatric surgeon. 

suzanneh
on 4/9/15 9:44 am - NY

Hi Forabettelife

I went to my Bariatric surgeon regarding my (lap-band x 10 years ago) today to discuss a revision to RNY. Surprisingly, she was not opposed but in agreement! She said, " statistically many post op bariatric patients do not do as well as first time bariatric patients- because unfortunately they return to some of the bad habits that made their original surgery less effective". Lap-bands are less effective because there is no dumping these calories get absorbed.. and the "Bandster" learns to eat around the band as well. She then went on to say that patients that fully understand where they went wrong and commit themselves to the revision including (psych eval, nutritionist and logging foods) loose just as much weight as a first time patient because of the physical attributes of the RNY surgery. She also warned me that during this time period which is typically between 6 and 12 months is termed the honeymoon phase. This is because the intestines will soon adapt to absorbing more of the calories but not more of the nutritional elements of what is consumed. She said during this time period dramatic lifestyle changes including daily vitamins, protein consumption, water intake, exercise, and required lab work MUST occur or the old habits will come creeping back. Therefore, I believe that if you are committed to your weight loss journey you will be successful. She also mentioned that some people adopt other addictive behaviors to replace overeating. That is why we must be mindful of this phenomena. My revision will be done in 2 separate surgeries. Because the internal lap-band site must heal so that a new pouch can be made that can help me meet my weight loss goals. She explained that some surgeons do this procedure together but too often this will result in a larger pouch in an attempt to avoid the fragile newly exposed lap-band site. Although, I wi**** could all happen at one time... I will be patient and put my best foot forward because this is really about the journey not the destination.  I look forward to hearing about your success and I hope that you will share your experience with us.  

Most Active
Recent Topics