Band Removal next Wednesday 4/15/15/revision in 3 months

glynn79
on 4/7/15 9:43 am - NJ

Hi all.  I had my original band placed in 2006.  I lost about 30lbs and found out it had slipped so in Dec 2009, I had my band removed and then rebanded.  Since then i have only lost about 20 more pounds and found out last month that once again it had slipped.  I had an upper GI and then endoscopy.  Dr. says that i have a small sliding hiatal hernia, mild acid reflux and gastritis.  He seems to still think that removing the band will not be a big deal at all but it is for me.  I already lost one band and had it replaced.  It has been a constant part of my life for almost 10 years and I have had some good times with it and some really bad times with it.  I want to get a revision to the Gastric Sleeve which my Dr is very optimistic about.  I just hate surgery.  My question is to all my fellow ex bandsters is what can I expect from just having this band removed?  Again my dr says its same day surgery and he should only be in there less than an hour but Im scared.  ON the flip side i feel like once this is removed, getting the sleeve should be a walk in the park.  My poor stomach has been put through hell with this band but its still not as bad as some posts i have read and I don't want it to get that bad so out it comes next Wednesday!!

Hislady
on 4/7/15 1:52 pm - Vancouver, WA

The sleeve is an excellent surgery I would have gotten it myself if I had been able to afford a revision. I had my band out over a year ago and have had to fight to keep the weight off. It is very easy to over eat again with no band. So I try to keep my meals close to the small size I ate back then. I still eat on a small plate and use small bowls. I measure my food in the kitchen before I eat so I'm not tempted by leftovers. I'm unable to exercise so have to do it all with diet, for the most part tho people end up regaining at least some of what they lost. 

If your reflux is from the hernia then fixing that should fix that problem but do be aware that the sleeve can cause alot of acid issues so make sure your esophagus is in good shape. Some bandsters have had a great deal of damage from their bands and have had to get RNY because the sleeve is also a pressure system against the esophagus and can cause more damage if it has already been damaged by the band. So they need to make sure there is no esophageal damage before sleeving you. You should never have been banded a second time because 2nd ones rarely work right and never work the same as the original.

Most people who get a sleeve after the band say it is like what we were told the band would be but the band wasn't. It limits how much you can eat and dims your hunger but you don't get the nasty sliming and stomach pain that you get with the band. You can get the foamies but that is from eating too much or too fast so that you can control.

Also something many don't tell you about in the beginning is that for the first several months you won't feel whether you are full or not because the nerves to your stomach were cut and it will task time for them to regrow and to feel again. For this reason it is really important to weigh and measure your food until you are able to tell for yourself. Also feeling hungry during that time can mean an increase in acid so you want to make sure you let your surgeon know so he can get you on a PPI right away.

I know many people who have revised to the sleeve and only 2 haven't liked them and I think they just loved their bands and weren't going to happy with anything else. Otherwise everyone else just loved their sleeves. Recovery can be smooth as silk or some have a rough time for a few weeks but in the end they say they would do it all again and were losing well.

Denise M.
on 4/9/15 8:03 am

Hi Glynn--my surgeon doesn't do one surgery revisions.  I'm getting my band out on the 23rd, we'll wait a month for recovery, follow up with an EGD and pH probe testing.  I've had bad reflux with the band, even though it's been empty since 2011.  If I have esophageal damage, he highly discourages the sleeve because it can worsen reflux.  

My removal will be same day surgery and my surgeon says it's pretty straightforward.  I've heard some people have longer surgeries if the band has adhered to other organs like the liver. 

Though I'm still two weeks out, my guess is the worst part will be where the port was removed.  It's a bigger incision and my port is covered in scar tissue and partially flipped.  I'm happy to put up with a little aches and pain to get that thing out!

I hope my issues clear up at least somewhat after it comes out.  Can't wait!!!!

glynn79
on 4/9/15 12:05 pm - NJ

Thank you so much for your replies. I am scared but excited its kind of a weird feeling but i have to do this.  My only real issue that i know of is the constant slipping and then the issues my dr found during the endoscopy.  If you don't mind me asking, what FB page are you referring to.  I would love to join that group.  I know there are many people like me but it is always nice hearing from everyone!!!  I will keep you updated on my surgery :)

Most Active
Recent Topics