Considering Second Revision - Dr. Alexander, Texas - Need Advice and Support

redchel
on 4/9/15 7:49 am - Oklahoma City, OK

I had a VBG in 1999.  This was successful for many many years.  Once I began to gain the weight back I thought a revision was necessary.  I had a RNY in 2012.  Several $10k's later, I've gained all my weight back, once again.  I don't feel that my surgery was successful (from day one) and I've tried a number of options, outside of surgery, to lose the weight and have been unsuccessful. 

I'm currently on W W - lost 5lbs.  Did HCG - lost 27, gained back 45. Running - gained almost 17lbs. Walking – maintained. Kickboxing – hurt myself.

I believe weight loss surgery can be successful; my first one was for almost 10 years.  My band slipped and that's why I went for revision. 

I used Weight Wise in OK, and although Dr. Walton has a fantastic bedside manner, I am under the impression that if I don't continue to dump hundreds of dollars into their program then the weight gain is my fault and they can't help me.  I didn't need to continue to dump money into my first surgery and it worked. Why all of a sudden do I need to pay into a system to get my surgery to work for me?

I'm terrified of having yet another surgery.  I don't really know what my options are. I feel that I need some support. 

I've made an appointment to have an endoscopy to look into my current situation.  The Dr. is out of the state.  Dr. John Alexander in Dallas, Texas.  Any thoughts on him? I’m seeing VERY mixed reviews.

I really need advice and support, not negative finger pointing. I’ve worked hard to try to lose and maintain weight loss my entire life. I will continue to try my entire life. I would like the struggle to be a bit less daunting.

airbender
on 4/9/15 8:17 pm

I would suggest to research all your options before making any decisions, especially since you are a 3X surgery patient, dont do anything out of haste.  that means for you to do your research on what surgery type you want to convert to, but to also go to a surgeon who is skilled in performing all surgery types, and mostly skilled enough to convert to all surgery types.  I dont think that would be the surgeon you mentioned. 

It sounds like  you are metabolically challenged, with a band, then RNY you should look into converting to a DS, that offers you the best chance for long term health and weight loss maintenance.  RNY to DS is performed by few surgeon.

Yes it is daunting, take time to research, ask a lot of questions, your life doesnt have to be so chaotic with the correct surgery type.  wishing you health and wellness in your search

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Hislady
on 4/10/15 7:11 am - Vancouver, WA

Airbender pretty much said it all! I would only add getting into some therapy to see if you figure out what about your eating is causing the continued regain. Therapy is always a good thing to have on your weight loss team. A good bariatric doctor will have a complete team at his disposal if he doesn't you may have to build your own group with a therapist and dietician. But you need all the components in place and a surgeon who is an actual revision surgeon who has done revisions on a regular basis.

cuppyb
on 4/10/15 10:48 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with

I'm getting revised with Dr Alexander.   I read all the reviews and yes some are mixed; howevelr I've found that with a lot of surgeons.    

Very few surgeons will revise RNY now and those who do place a band over it.    I had a band that slipped which is how I got RNY.   I've been at the gym,  weigh****chers, on adipex, and seen nutritionist and nothing.  I get severe intestinal cramping and food is getting stuck.

So I made my appointment and yes I waited over 90 minutes past my appointment time before he came in to see me.   Have to admit I was not happy and was about to leave when he came sapling in.   But then he didn't rush through my visit and answered all my questions and my husbands too.   The delay is cause he is taking time and not rushing people to get the most billable appointments in.

Monday is my endoscopy 

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

Appleshaped
on 5/11/15 9:01 am

How much is Dr. A charging for a revision?

cuppyb
on 5/11/15 8:52 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with

My insurance covers it do I'm not sure of the price.  Revision is scheduled for May 20th

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

Most Active
Recent Topics