Anyone have a distal bypass?

Stephanie G.
on 4/13/15 1:00 pm - Rowlett, TX

I am one week post-op from a revision from a Proximal (normal) gastric bypass to a distal bypass.  I am looking for others that have had the same surgery.  I would like to start a FB group just for us.  I need help with my diet, vitamins, etc and can't find anything specific just for us.

~Stephanie~
RNY revision from lapband 7/30/07...TT/BL 10/9/08 and at GOAL

ShebasMom
on 4/13/15 9:08 pm, edited 4/13/15 9:19 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

I'm waiting for insurance approval for a distal bypass. What is your common channel? Those with < 100 cm seem to have the most nutritional issues. Did your surgeon give you any guidelines on what your diet and vitamin supplementation should be? Distals do need more protein than proximals. You should continue the vitamin/mineral supplements you were on with the proximal. After your labs, adjust the supplements according to your levels. Have you done a search on OH? (top right to left of OH) There are some people who've had the distal on OH that you can send a PM to. I hope some will respond to your post, because it would be nice to have some distal vets advice. 

Donna

Stephanie G.
on 4/17/15 1:14 am - Rowlett, TX

Hi Donna, thanks for your reply.  I am having great difficulty finding any support out there for distal bypass patients.  So I started my own FB group: Distal Bypass Support Group (feel free to join if you'd like).  My surgeon has given me a list of vitamins and such but our needs are different from a regular proximal bypass.  I now take 3x the vitamins I did before hand and I have trouble with foul gas and diarrhea.  Hence the reason I started my own FB group to try to find others to join us.  I did a search on here and it turned up nothing.  I posted a thread on the regular GB board and got a couple of responses.  Hope you get approved!

~Stephanie~
RNY revision from lapband 7/30/07...TT/BL 10/9/08 and at GOAL

Mary B.
on 4/17/15 5:26 am - Southern, MD

Im finalizing my insurance requirements for revision to distal. It has been tough to find support here for distal. I started the process in January. Hoping to get on the schedule for May/June.  I'll check out the group on FB. Thanks!

Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

MsBatt
on 4/17/15 6:29 am

You can learn a lot about living with a distal bypass on the DS boards, and FB groups. the diet won't be quitte the same as that of DSers, but the vitamin needs will be very similar.

AngelicMythology
on 5/11/15 1:12 pm - Buffalo, NY
Revision on 01/21/13

I would join. I revised to distal in January 2013. Since doing good. Weight stays between 135 -140ish depending on time of month. 

January 8, 2007 - RNY - HW: 285, LW: 135

January 21, 2013 - Revision - Distal RNY: HW: 235, CW: 135

keepmenmind
on 6/10/15 11:48 am - Atlanta, GA
Revision on 06/02/15

I had a distal revision as well. I would like to join.

Zee Starrlite
on 6/10/15 1:12 pm

One person I would study would be VitaLady Michelle. She alone could give you more information and knowledge than a FB group.  I hope you went into a distal with some knowledge.

All best,

L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Chilipepper
on 6/10/15 7:41 am

I have a distal. Are you implying she didn't do her research?  What are you trying to say?  

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Zee Starrlite
on 6/10/15 7:18 pm

I don't know if she did or did not do her research!  I am saying that it seems like she wants/needs info and Michelle knows a great deal.  I would follow her until I learned my own path.

Now I am an old timer and have had contact with VitaLady throughout the years.  She's looked at my blood work (might I say studied) and made the most helpful suggestions - more helpful than my medical team.

She has a distal and had to learn to take care of herself when the proper sources were not available.

And you Chili, you!   Not sure of what your stats are.  I'd look to your experience and your suggestions.  It's so important to get it right, instead of trying to fix when things go wrong.

Best, Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active
Recent Topics