Gastro-Gastric Fistula

Kathi_Foy
on 4/16/15 6:18 am

Has anyone experienced a gastro-gastric fistula after Roux-en-Y bypass surgery?  I may have one.  My Gastric Bypass was in 2007.  I'm under the care of a bariatric surgeon.  What has been your experience?  What kind of revision did you have?

Chilipepper
on 4/16/15 1:57 pm

I had one. They removed my blind stomach and fixed my pouch

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Kathi_Foy
on 4/17/15 1:05 pm

Thanks for the answer.  From my research, your procedure appears to be a safe one after a gastro-gastric fistula.  Did the same surgeon do your repair?  How long after your original surgery did you have it done? Did you find out what caused it?  Was their grounds for medical malpractice?  Thanks for your generosity of spirit in answering some of my more pressing quesitons.   

Chilipepper
on 4/18/15 3:24 pm

No, you need a good revision surgeon.  It happened about 7 yrs postop. There are several reasons it could happen..  Mine was because post op we found out I was barely bypassed by the first surgeon. the bile acids where backing up and because the the blind stomach and pouch are in such close proximity they litterly reattached and then the bile burned a hole through both. It's just a freak late term complication. Not really any chances for medical malpractice.  NSAID use, smoking and alcohol can also contribute to the formation of a fistula. For me, the lack of any real bypass during the origional surgery caused so much damage I had to be revised to a distal bypass  but that is rare and isn't always the case.  Fixing it isn't that challenging with a revision surgeon  

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

beckymay26
on 5/7/15 8:21 pm - Canada

How long ago was your fistula fixed ? How is your weight loss after ? I am having the same thing fixed this March and I have regained everything I lost and I am hoping this will help me :/

Most Active
Recent Topics