fat girl gone thin, thinking about removing my port only..is that even possible?

phatgirlgonethin
on 4/20/15 3:16 am - easton, PA

So, i have not had a fill in over 10 years. I have reached my desired goal and now I would like to get rid of my port only. Do surgeons even do that? Its more for esthetic purposes. My band still works for me. I lost 80 lbs and now I'm down to where I need to be, but the band really protrudes out of my belly and its very noticeable. Any suggestions? Comments? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Hislady
on 4/20/15 7:15 am, edited 4/20/15 7:15 am - Vancouver, WA

I answered you on the Band forum but I don't think it is wise and I wouldn't trust a surgeon that would agree to it because if for any reason, say slip or erosion you need an immediate emergency unfill you would have no way to access the tubing.

phatgirlgonethin
on 4/22/15 12:41 am - easton, PA

Thank you for your response. Im evaluating my options now. 

airbender
on 4/21/15 9:53 pm

yes, you can have it removed, but to have an unnecessary surgery, then if you do have an emergency situtation that they need to remove the fluid for a multitude of reasons they can't and you need again another surgery.  Remember the band is a temporary implant.  If the port is that much of a bother suggest having it switched out from a regular profile to a low profile.

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Zee Starrlite
on 4/23/15 2:58 pm

Bad idea especially 10 + years post-op.  Deflating your band must be an option if needed.  You can opt for a low profile port if you feel it necessary.  Somewhat  free flowing hosing sounds downright scary but I am sure a band doc would plug up your hosing and detach your port from your stomach muscle.

In my Xray before band removal I saw clips inside of me that actually looked like butterfly paperclips - freaked me out .

Good luck.  You truly are a wonder at 10 + year Lap Band

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

phatgirlgonethin
on 4/24/15 2:14 am - easton, PA

thank you for your response!

Most Active
Recent Topics