25 years ago Gastric stapling now fix it

HKT53
on 5/13/15 2:16 pm - Toronto, Canada

Yes 25 years ago I had a Gastric Stapling. For the last year and half, I cannot tolerate any solid food. I have to drink my food. Week after week another type of juiced plantfood has to be stricken from my list The fix is that I have been approved for RNY Gastric bypass. Here I go...all over again. Believe me this is a big challenge. Trying to get enough essential vitamins and keeping my drinks down. I vomit on average 6 times a day. I am waiting for surgery to be scheduled. So far the people I talk to "pre" and "post" are all dealing with same issues I have been dealing with for 25 years. It scares me that I will continue after surgery dealing with acid reflux, inability to tolerate any meats, limited to only a few low acid fruits and absolutely no tomatoes. Will this change for me? Have I made this psychological?

Ladytazz
on 5/14/15 12:18 am

Things have changed a great deal in the last 10 years even, much less 25.

When I had my revision I was told that the gastric bypass they did then was completely different from what they did 5 years earlier (this was 2010).

All I can tell you is my revision completely cured my reflux.  From 2 Prilosecs a day to none in the last 5 years.

I have no issues with any foods I eat.  I do avoid sugar and refined carbs and gluten but other then that I eat what I want and I haven't had any bad reactions.  I practically live on meat and chicken.  I haven't had a problem with any fruits or vegetables.  In fact, if it weren't for the fact that I get satisfied with a much smaller amount of food I wouldn't even know I had surgery.  Oh, I haven't vomited in years, thank god.

What I am trying to say is that you will be fine.  More then fine, you will most likely be better then you have been in years.

Try to think positive about how much better you will be feeling and don't worry about things that most likely will never happen.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

HKT53
on 5/17/15 7:09 am - Toronto, Canada

Oh thank you...this means a lot to me. 25 years of acid reflux and worried that I might vomit in my sleep and chock. To not being able to eat any foods for the last year and half. To be free of these problems and to be able to enjoy some fruits and vegetables around the table for Sunday dinner, would be all I can ask for. Thanks for encouragement. Now I'm thinking why did the Drs wait so long to fix me. Still waiting for surgery date. Now I am anxious.

nellie67
on 5/16/15 6:28 pm

I had gastric stapling in 1987. I experienced what you are now. My revision to RNY was 5/7/2015, and I no longer have reflux. 

HKT53
on 5/17/15 7:03 am - Toronto, Canada

OMG...How are you feeling. I think I have the patience. This procedure doesnt look nearly as scarey as the stapling in the 80's. And no reflux. That in itself is amazing. Were you a three day revision? Bless you for what you did, if you can do it, I can do it. Thank you for responding. I knew I couldnt be the only one. The pre and post I talk to now for RNY tell me everything I already experienced including the acid reflux on one person. However, after being a year and half now on liquids and only sipping so I limit my vomitting...I think I am mentally trained not to eat too much at one time. Can you sleep at night, the whole night now you do not have acid reflux?

nellie67
on 5/17/15 1:43 pm

Absolutely no reflux. I still take omeprazol because my surgeon said to continue until I see him Tuesday. This surgery has been much easier than the gastroplasty in1987. If I had known, I would have done it long ago.

nellie67
on 5/17/15 1:44 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by three day revision.

nellie67
on 5/17/15 1:50 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by three day revision.

HKT53
on 5/17/15 6:54 pm - Toronto, Canada

At my hospital, the RNY can be one day revision, two day revision or three day revision. Depending on how much post operative observation is needed. Some people I talk to were released the next day to their laprascopy (not sure how to spell it). I met some people that needed to stay in hospital for two days. I am waiting for schedule from hospital to have a bed for me for three days. How long did you stay in the hospital. The two people that were released the next day, ended up having dry heaves and had to go back to emergency. Back in 89, I was in the hospital for 14 days and had tubes down my throat for 4 days.

nellie67
on 5/17/15 10:46 pm

Had my revision May 7 and was released May 10. I had a great deal of scar tissue which made the surgery longer to finish. I was happy to wake c no NG, and just a JP. I don't remember how long I was in hospital in 1987, but I know I was miserable and afraid this time it would be the same. This time the whole experience has been relatively easy. 

Most Active
Recent Topics