Is it worth it?

Hobgoblin
on 5/19/15 7:05 am - Hanover Township, PA

I had my RNY gastric bypass 14 years ago. I'm going through the process of a revision (shrinking the pouch) because my pouch is 3x the size it should be. I'm told that it's essentially going to restrict portion size and that's it.

How true is that assessment? Is it even worth doing?

Kathy S.
on 5/19/15 2:14 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Only you can answer that question.  If you are gaining weight due to a medical reason then it sounds like no matter what you do you won't lose.  But if people gain because they stopped working their tool and moved away from the basics then they may want to try getting back on track before going under the knife again.  Good Luck to you!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Hislady
on 5/20/15 8:17 pm - Vancouver, WA

Sounds like they are just saying that you had malabsorbtion with the original surgery, now you will just have the smaller stomach. That should be a big help tho if your stomach is smaller you won't be able to eat as much as now and if you stick to proper portion sizes it should help you to be able to lose even without the malabsorbtion. For me I think it would be worth it but that is something only you can decide in the end.

MsBatt
on 5/26/15 10:57 am

Very true assessment. Shrinking your pouch will restrict portion size, at least for a while. If you think you also need malabsorption, PERMANENT malabsorption of CALORIES, then you need to research getting your failed RNY revised to a Duodenal Switch.

Most Active
Recent Topics