Tell me about your lap band revision

GoDawgs1979
on 5/19/15 9:33 am

I was banded in 2004 and, well, the band sucks (for me at least).  In 3 months I'm having it revised to RNY.  I can't wait!!

My band surgery was pretty easy.  Outpatient, lots of abdominal soreness the first 2 or 3 days like I'd done a million sit ups, but after maybe 3 days of soreness it was pretty smooth sailing.  No other post-op issues other than soreness.

If you revised from band to RNY, DS, or the sleeve, how did your surgery and recovery compare to your band surgery?  I'm more scared about this one since it entails cutting and rearranging my insides, and I'm wondering if recovery will be harder.

jalivia2
on 5/19/15 10:40 am - Spring, TX

*following this post*  I am working towards having the same surgery in November and have been wondering the same thing....and also how much time I should plan to take off of work to recuperate.  I will say that I have heard that the area where your port was will be the most painful.  Good luck to you!

GoDawgs1979
on 5/19/15 10:50 am
On May 19, 2015 at 10:40 AM Pacific Time, jalivia2 wrote:

*following this post*  I am working towards having the same surgery in November and have been wondering the same thing....and also how much time I should plan to take off of work to recuperate.  I will say that I have heard that the area where your port was will be the most painful.  Good luck to you!

Thanks, and good luck to you as well!  My surgeon says most people take off 2 weeks.  My plan is to have the surgery on a Friday, take off the entire next week, and then the following Monday is a holiday.  That gives me 10 straight days after surgery.  Then I'll come into the office for a few hours each day for four days, and then be back full time on week 3.  I have a desk job, so my surgeon says this plan is very reasonable.

ladygodiva1228
on 5/19/15 11:13 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On May 19, 2015 at 9:33 AM Pacific Time, GoDawgs1979 wrote:

I was banded in 2004 and, well, the band sucks (for me at least).  In 3 months I'm having it revised to RNY.  I can't wait!!

My band surgery was pretty easy.  Outpatient, lots of abdominal soreness the first 2 or 3 days like I'd done a million sit ups, but after maybe 3 days of soreness it was pretty smooth sailing.  No other post-op issues other than soreness.

If you revised from band to RNY, DS, or the sleeve, how did your surgery and recovery compare to your band surgery?  I'm more scared about this one since it entails cutting and rearranging my insides, and I'm wondering if recovery will be harder.

I am three months out from band to bypass with gallbladder removal.  I was in surgery for 3 hours as it took an hour just to get the band out as it was encased in scar tissue and inflamed. 

The pain was a little bit worse than the original band surgery, but not like "oh my god I'm going to die pain".  My abdomen was sore for about a week and I learned real fast how to use my leg and arm muscles to get up out of bed. 

I was up and walking a few hours after the surgery and once the nurse showed me how to get in and out of the bed myself I was off like a rocket. 

I'm down 52lbs and feel great.  I also took off 4 1/2 weeks just because I could.  I could have gone back at week three.

GoDawgs1979
on 5/19/15 11:34 am

What was the port site like while you were healing?  I guess the surgeon opens up the large port scar and there's a new 2-3 in*****ision?  Was there pain and swelling in that area?

I'm glad to hear that recovery was only a little bit worse for you.  I can handle that.

ladygodiva1228
on 5/19/15 11:42 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

My port site which is on my left side (originally had the band surgery in Mexico) hurt like heck before the revision.  After the revision not an ounce of pain from where my port was and my heartburn was gone. 

The only incision that was a bit ouchy for a little while longer was on my right side where they took my gallbladder out and they pulled the band through.  I had a big indentation and my belly was a bit puffy in that area.  My surgeon said he did internal stitching at that incision as it was bigger than the rest.  Its maybe 2inches if that.   

Just so you they don't go through the original incisions due to scar tissue that has built up under them.  They will make new ones. 

GoDawgs1979
on 5/19/15 12:00 pm
On May 19, 2015 at 11:42 AM Pacific Time, ladygodiva1228 wrote:

My port site which is on my left side (originally had the band surgery in Mexico) hurt like heck before the revision.  After the revision not an ounce of pain from where my port was and my heartburn was gone. 

The only incision that was a bit ouchy for a little while longer was on my right side where they took my gallbladder out and they pulled the band through.  I had a big indentation and my belly was a bit puffy in that area.  My surgeon said he did internal stitching at that incision as it was bigger than the rest.  Its maybe 2inches if that.   

Just so you they don't go through the original incisions due to scar tissue that has built up under them.  They will make new ones. 

LOL, I've had the lap band, gallbladder out, and appendectomy, all in different surgeries, so I have so many scars.  Now I'll have even more!

Nurse12334
on 5/25/15 5:51 am

I am coming up on one month out from revision to sleeve.  It was a little more painful but not bad at all.  My biggest issue after surgery was nausea so if one med is not working to help that ask your doctor to try something else. Once the nausea was under control recovery has been great.  I have had some soreness but would say it feels like I worked out extra hard doing sit ups.  My port sight feels great without the port there!!  Good luck to you.  I have been so happy I did this!!

Most Active
Recent Topics