Considering sleeve due to lapband slip and Esophageal dilation

michele1
on 5/27/15 12:22 pm
Revision on 07/07/15

Banded 2008 lost 90 pounds initially gained 30 back after unfill for colon resection. Was told my band has slipped and esophagus is dilated thinking of revising to sleeve, surgeon has always suggested rny, sleeve will be self  pay insurance denied.

Did you lose weight after band to sleeve if so how much? I am thinking life with the sleeve will be better, already enjoying swallowing vitamins now that I have no fill lol!

Thanks!

Hislady
on 5/27/15 3:59 pm - Vancouver, WA

Actually the sleeve is not recommended when there is esophagus damage because it will be made worse by another medium pressure surgery on the esophagus. The RNY is recommended instead so it isn't just your surgeon wanting to do that surgery, it is what is best for you. Ultimately it is your decision but do some research before making that final choice. Good luck!

Zee Starrlite
on 5/28/15 1:10 pm

Okay, here is the deal - I had esophageal dilation with no symptoms except I felt I had more capacity to eat and thought I simply needed a fill.  

I am sleeved but my surgeon did say he'd have to watch me because of the dilation and the sleeve being high pressured too.  After my first post-op visit, he never mentioned it again. Even so in the back of my mind I find myself with a flicker of concern maybe 2x's per year.

I have absolutely no issues at all I am sure because my sleeve is pretty spacious = no reflux = capacity but no restriction like the band at all.  I can eat anything - which I love but do not like not controlling myself sometimes = I never lost down to the low weight I was with my band.  Infact, I did not lose much at all - though I am way smaller than when I started pre-op and too comfortable to make the extra effort to lose all my excess weight - I do try but have not succeed (totally my error, in the end, I choose food over weight loss)

I am lucky in that I have no hunger issues at all.  If I ate because I was hungry this would be the magic!  I love food.  I love to eat. and the compulsive overeater is me always beneath the more concious thoughtful me.

My stomach sleeved is awesome.  I love that I now have a bottom instead of being bottomless.  I have to watch myself always just like everyone else and put in the extra effort for desired results.

Because of your dilation I would highly suggest a complete unfill (if you don't have one) for sometime then band removal, then revision.  Your stomach and esophagus needs to rest and heal.  Band removal is a very tedious job - it is a long dissection job (removable huh? reversible?) hard on the stomach and a surgeon never knows what it looks like or how it will go until they are inside doing it.

Many Band to Sleeves have done much better than me in terms of weight loss.  But I wouldn't change my position for nothing in this world.  Acid Reflux was my worst fear (besides a leak) and I have dodged that bullet.  just gotta work harder.

All Best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

michele1
on 5/28/15 7:36 am, edited 5/28/15 7:37 am
Revision on 07/07/15

Layla, thanks for sharing and being honest it means so much to me! I am unfilled and have been taking it easy on the foods and types of food that I am having but I am so hungry. I don't ever remember being this hungry and that is one thing I heard that the sleeve helps with at first. I would love to lose another 30 (to get to my lowest with the band) and 40 would be the max but would be happy where I am at, I just know that without another tool and "safety net" I would be morbidly obese in no time. I too love food and sometimes eat for the wrong reasons....seems to come in waves, I can be so good for a while then something happens and I eat the wrong things.

Thanks again!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics