Need help understanding!

(deactivated member)
on 6/9/15 8:24 am - MI
Hi! I used to be active on this site's forums but it has been a few years. I need some help in understanding what Revision surgery is. Im not sure I have the right forum but if it is what I think it is then Ill need some advice and facts!

Heres my story in a nutshell. I had Roux n Y surgery about 7 years ago and lost 167lbs. I wasn't entirely done losing weight but I felt great, felt I looked great and was actually happy at the weight I had reached which was about 170. I met a guy (now husband) and continued to lose weight until life got stressful a couple years out. I gained some back and reached 220 about 3 years ago. I started jogging, eating better than I had when stuff got tough and my body fought me on weight loss even still. Then I became pregnant. I actually lost 15lbs while pregnant (yay morning sickness). I ended up having an emergency c-section because my baby girl was in distress and we lost her hours after birth. I got pregnant 2 months later with a miracle baby and we lost her as well last July. We are currently working with a geneticist on the matter. Needless to say, I am now 280. My beginning weight before surgery was 335.

I have gained most of my weight back because of the pregnancies and the c-sections. I do have some eating habits that could stand to be changed. To this day I cannot eat sugar or sweets still and Im ok with that. I just feel like I need help! I have heard from a friend who had bariatric surgery and gained weight back despite efforts to get it off that there was a way to go back in for a quick surgery to help you get back on track? She in fact had it done. Im not very close with her so I havent seen her to ask.

I see all these diet fads and have tried some myself with exercise and my body just fights me so hard. I was so diligent with diet and exercise recently and when I got on the scale I gained 10lbs. I just need a boost. I feel terrible, feel I look terrible and need to understand what my options are aside from diet and exercise.

Sorry this post was so long! Thank you for ANY advice and help!!
Hislady
on 6/9/15 3:23 pm - Vancouver, WA

In general revisions are to correct a defect with an original surgery. The first step would be to find out if your insurance covers them so call the company and find out what the requirements are. If they do cover then see a surgeon and have them do an endoscopy to see what your pouch looks like and whether anything has stretched out or not in the proper condition. If that is the situation then you may be able to get a revision and have it covered.

There are several so called revisions that really don't work but are being pushed hard by surgeons Rose and Stomaphyx come to mind and I think there is a couple more. However you only lose about 20-30 lbs with them so not really much help. There is a newer procedure that is more promising called the Apollo overstitch that may give a better result but in the end as you know only a good diet is going to help.

That means high protein/low carb: eat protein first, then non starchy veggies and an occasional healthy carb. No drinks with meals and journal your foods that you have carefully weighed and measured! Good luck to you.

MsBatt
on 6/9/15 7:57 pm

You say you can't eat sweets, but how many total CARBS are you eating? Bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, fruits, veggies ALL contain carbs, some of them a LOT of carbs. That's the first thing to do---cut out carbs, especially simple carbs.

If you're NOT eating more than, say, 70 grams of carbs a day but still can't lose, then you *probably* have some metabolic issues. There is not 'quick fix' surgery to address this issue! There IS a surgery---the Duodenal Switch---but converting/revising an RNY to a DS is THE most complicated revision surgery out there for a surgeon to do. However, it's also the most effective, and perhaps the simplest for the PATIENT to live with.

I suggest you go to the DS forum here, and do some reading at www.dsfacts.com and at www.bariatricfacts.org about the DS. There are also some Facebook groups you can join, and learn more about the DS and the possibilities of revising your RNY to it. Post-op life with the DS is rather different than life with the RNY. Some things about it are easier, some things harder, but it's your best option for long-term, maintained weight loss.

Chilipepper
on 6/9/15 11:45 pm

A carb is a carb no matter what surgery we have. If you arent losing then you are eating to many carbs and most likely not eating enough protein 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Kathyjs
on 6/14/15 7:04 pm

There is no quick fix . I am so sorry for your losses

Most Active
Recent Topics